Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's the simple things like mixture screws...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the simple things like mixture screws...

So I'm learning...slow albeit, but gaining some confidence and knowledge little by little.

I was going to try tuning with the highest idle method today but once I got the tank off and lightly seated all the screws (they were all over the place, don't think any were the same), and then turned them all 2.5 turns out I decided to take it for a test run to try and feel the difference....WOW!

She now pulls harder through ALL gears in ALL rpm ranges than ever, AND it feels so SMOOTH! Feels so much faster when it's smooth.

Took a little adjusting and playing with the throttle stop screw afterwards to get the right idle level, but I'm loving it!

Should I still give the "highest idle" a try?

Absolutely you should.

Perfect is so very much better than pretty good.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Absolutely you should.

Perfect is so very much better than pretty good.
      Point taken! Hopefully I can get to that next week...

That and I need to replace the fouled up (rich) plugs so I can do a plug chop test and see how she's doing.

Comment

Originally posted by lilbilly View Post
        Point taken! Hopefully I can get to that next week...

That and I need to replace the fouled up (rich) plugs so I can do a plug chop test and see how she's doing.
        No use the plugs that are in it, new plugs are hard to read, there is no deposits to turn color.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          No use the plugs that are in it, new plugs are hard to read, there is no deposits to turn color.
          True, but if he's glazed the plugs by running it rich for an extended amount of time, they're likely to never give him a good read..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            True, but if he's glazed the plugs by running it rich for an extended amount of time, they're likely to never give him a good read..
            I put new plugs in when I started riding it in March. But to be fair, I've only ridden around 200-400 miles.

Comment

Okay, so after a 200 mile day run I finally had some time to check my plugs to see how they look.

1 and 4 seemed maybe a tad rich (darker gray) and 2 and 3 looked lean (some whitish coloring on the hook part on top).

The next step to perfect this is to do a colourtune and highest idle method, or just one of them?

Comment

Working...
              X