To Go or Not To Go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Go or Not To Go?

So a day trip was planned. My bike is running well but (big but) I forgot the extent of my oil leak when it is run at high speeds for an extended time. I've only ridden about 8 highway miles to our breakfast meet up and I'm concerned with the oil leak (base gasket). If my boot is pretty well sprayed after 8 miles is it a bad idea to ride 400? I brought a quart of oil to top off, but I'm not so sure about this.I'm just not sure if its uncertainty of a first long ride or a legitimate issue that I should decide aagainst going.

Your call but it won't be 50 times more oil spilled on a 400 mile run compared to 8 miles - it'll be more as the oil is thinner as it's hot. Personally I wouldn't risk it.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I would think it would be fully hot after a 20 minute warrm up and 15 minute ride which was mostly highway. How much more hot will it get?

Comment

Hey look on the bright side: Your boot will be preped for rain if you so happen to run into any!

Only YOU can tell how bad the leak is. If you don't mind pi$$ing off everyone behind you, go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by lilbilly View Post
          I would think it would be fully hot after a 20 minute warrm up and 15 minute ride which was mostly highway. How much more hot will it get?
          20 min warm-up?
          No wonder it leaks.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            20 min warm-up?
            No wonder it leaks.
            +/- , it was about 50 some degrees. I just threw out 20...probably more like about 10 minutes or so of letting it idle.

We went...I just said I wasn't going because of the leak and then they all decided to take the back roads and kept it under 60. Which at that speed/rpm range, the oil leak is not nearly as much as 70-75 on the interstate. Who wants to take the interstate anyways? I guess I probably bled out less than a quart, and since I carried some with me

Went down to Lafayette and did a run we found on www.motorcycleroads.com . Tippecanoe Run - not too bad for a short day trip; about 240 miles or so.
            Last edited by Guest; 06-13-2009, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Posplayr rode his ED for 2000 miles with oil on his boot. The bike marked it's territory on my shoe also. Turned out to be a oil cooler line.
              Till the engine ate his cam cover gasket it was OK.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X