Dripping (flowing?) gas from airbox drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dripping (flowing?) gas from airbox drain

I'm making headway! Put seafoam in cylinders (via sparkplug holes) overnight, got 120 psi compression on all cylinders now. The bike starts easy runs and idles fine ... except ... after a couple minutes I have gas dripping profusely from the airbox drain tube. I looked at all the plugs and sure enough, cylinder #1 plug is wet, the others are fine. Any ideas? Could it be a stuck float on the #1 carb? I just did a thorough carb clean and everything "looked" good.

Originally posted by moonstoner View Post
    Could it be a stuck float on the #1 carb?
    Yes. Try tapping the float bowl with a screwdriver handle or something.

But you may have to get in there and see what is wrong, I pulled a small piece of wood out of one of my needles, it could be anything.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

It's not everyone's situation, but I had gas running out through the back of the carbs & out of the airbox. After trying many solutions, I discovered that the PO had run the vent from the carbs to the vent on the fuel tank. Once I pulled the hose off the fuel tank, solved the problem. I hope it is that simple for you -

Comment

How's the petcock? It might be faulty.

Comment

Originally posted by Rein View Post
          How's the petcock? It might be faulty.
          How would a faulty petcock allow gas through the carb and into the airbox?

Comment

Originally posted by moonstoner View Post
            How would a faulty petcock allow gas through the carb and into the airbox?
            A post by TheCafeKid from a similar thread:

With the BS (cv) carbs, there is no overflow hole aside from the vents, which usually cant rid the carbs of excess fuel fast enough. Consequently, eventually, the fuel will fill up passed the needle, and leak down thru the throats into your airbox, and your crank case. This is bad for MANY reasons, aside from the obvious, and not fixing it will lead to long term damage.

It's also like leaving the petcock on prime.

Comment

Working...
            X