Carb Tuning tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Tuning tips

Well I have my carbs stripped and I'm in the process of dip one a day. I'm runnig stock airbox with a K&N and a Vance&Hines 4-1. Any input as to clip position, and initial screw positions?

Is this on a motorcycle? Really, just a stock airbox and a pipe the jetting required won't be too far from stock, maybe a size or two bigger mains, maybe a slightly different clip position. But what you need to do is run it, go through the plug chops and get it right for yourself.
    Last edited by tkent02; 06-13-2009, 12:53 PM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Trust me on this one, if you have a 4 into 1 GET a JET KIT!!! Then follow the baseline settings & tune from there. Ray.

Comment

No kits readily available for the 79. Stage one kits are for the cv series!

Comment

Oh, it's a gs750L 1979. Info always helps!

Comment

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions as to what size main and pilot jets I should acquire to have on hand for messing around with.

Comment

I think that the generally accepted position is to go up 5 or 6 sizes on the main and raise the needle (lower the clip) one notch.
              Screw settings will be somewhere between 3/4 and 1 for the fuel, 1.5 to 2 for air.

Remember that these are only guesses for starting points, read your plugs to see what your engine wants.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I think that the generally accepted position is to go up 5 or 6 sizes on the main and raise the needle (lower the clip) one notch.
                Steve, isn't that about what you need for pipes AND pods?
                He only has a pipe.

Comment

And where is a good place to get jets?

Comment

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Steve, isn't that about what you need for pipes AND pods?
                      He only has a pipe.
                      You're right. I saw the "K&N" and didn't notice that it's an insert in the stock box.

Oh, well, back to the guessing game. Probably 2 or 3 sizes on the jets, personally, I would probably do 3. My son's 850 has a pipe and stock airbox (with K&N insert) and has mains two sizes larger, and it's doing well.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                      X