Dripping pingle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dripping pingle

I just finished installing a new pingle petcock.

I filled the tank with gas and with the petcock in the "off" position, I noticed a tiny drip out of the petcock (not the bracket or fitting, out of the nozzle that hooks up to the fuel line. I hooked up some fuel hose and ran some gas through and turned the petcock off and on several times. I took the fuel hose off and the petcock still has a tiny drip.

What gives? Did I get a bad petcock?

Rick

If it's leaking out the fuel line nipple on off than I would return it and get another one.
    Did you use the sealer on the tank and teflon tape on the petcock itself where it taps into the mounting plate?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      If it's leaking out the fuel line nipple on off than I would return it and get another one.
      Did you use the sealer on the tank and teflon tape on the petcock itself where it taps into the mounting plate?
      Yep. I used the sealer on the tank, gasket and adaptor. No leaks around there. It just drips out of the fuel line nipple. It's a tiny drip, but it doesn't seem to stop. I am pretty sure it's not supposed to do that .

Rick

Comment

Your float valves should keep the fuel from getting in your engine with a slow drip but they really should not drip at all.
        I don't ever shut off my Pingle but my float valves don't leak.
        I would call whoever you purchased it from and discuss replacement.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

I just pulled of the pingle, washed it off, and I can just barely suck a little air through it. I can't blow air into it, but I put it in a glass of water and I could suck a little tiny bit of water through it in the off position.

I just got it from Z1, so I am sure they will exchange it.

Rick

Comment

If you keep playing with your pingle , you'll go blind..

Comment

Not hairy palms?????

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                If you keep playing with your pingle , you'll go blind..
                It's kinda fun though!

Comment

Surely a Pingle will never give any trouble. I've read so many times, replace the GS petcock with a pingle, so you won't need to rebuild the GS petcock every 20 yrs. or so, only thing is you will need to remember to turn the pingle off each time you turn the engine off. But now I see a Pingle may not last 20 yrs either. Don't rely on the needle & seats to stop the fuel flow eventually they WILL leak, & you'll have gas in the crankcase. That's why the most Mfg's started using the automatic (vacuum or elect.) shutoffs in the late 70's.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                    Surely a Pingle will never give any trouble. I've read so many times, replace the GS petcock with a pingle, so you won't need to rebuild the GS petcock every 20 yrs. or so, only thing is you will need to remember to turn the pingle off each time you turn the engine off. But now I see a Pingle may not last 20 yrs either. Don't rely on the needle & seats to stop the fuel flow eventually they WILL leak, & you'll have gas in the crankcase. That's why the most Mfg's started using the automatic (vacuum or elect.) shutoffs in the late 70's.
                    And this is a "Brand New" pingle. Maybe I am being anal about this, but I don't want a "Brand New" pingle to drip, even if only a little. Before I hooked it up to the bike, I checked it out and "played with my pingle" only to discover that it was dripping when shut off.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by ryonker View Post
                      I checked it out and "played with my pingle" only to discover that it was dripping when shut off.

Rick
                      Id be upset If I played with my pingle, and it still dripped when it was off.....Sorry couldnt help it, On the serious side, for the money spent on a pingle it shouldnt drip at all....

Comment

Originally posted by redsoxvw View Post
                        Id be upset If I played with my pingle, and it still dripped when it was off.....Sorry couldnt help it, On the serious side, for the money spent on a pingle it shouldnt drip at all....
                        My thoughts, exactly. When the pingle is "turned on" and the knob is properly manipulated, it has great flow. It's the post flow dripping that is a problem.

Comment

In light of the fact that my Pingle is dripping, and so is no longer installed, should I coat my tank with oil or something to keep it from getting a little rust on the inside?

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                            I call it good money spent.
                            So what if one leaks. It's a rare thing.
                            I've had mine for two years and still don't have a crankcase full of gas.

Comment

Z1 comes through again!

No more dripping pingle.

I just called Jeff at Z1 last Monday. He sent me out a new one right away and I sent the leaker back.

I got the new one today, installed it, and .........no leaky!

Thanks Z1 for the great service!!!!!!!!

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X