air box dripping oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
    I just stripped, polished, and rebuilt a set of forks (with the help of Rose, I told you, she's gonna be able to rebuild that sucker for you by the time you get here with it..lol) in the time it takes most people to change their oil...First time too!! WOooHOOoo. Interesting way those are put together, but once you figure it out, they're cake.
    I saw that in another thread somewhere, you L hater. I bet Rose isn't a hater. If I read that story right, those forks are a little weirder than mine. I don't have a washer over my seals, just the wire clip. Not even a C-clip. So easy, even I didn't have to think about it. Well, not that part, anyway.

That reminds me... The progressive springs look shorter than stock by a good bit, going by memory. I need to remember to look up the stock length for comparison. It just doesn't seem right.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

They are shorter by comparrison, but they're a little bit heavier gauge. No THOSE forks i was b1tching about arent the ones I did last night. I did the ones on my 1000G last night. They were completely shot. I am waiting on seals for the ones off that 550L. And no, Rose isnt a L hater, because she'll be owning one soon enough..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        And no, Rose isnt a L hater, because she'll be owning one soon enough..

An L? After all she's done for you?
        How could you do that to such a wonderful lady?
        Go find a decent E for her or at least a Kawasaki or something.
        An L??? My god, man!
        Might as well let her ride a Honda.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          An L? After all she's done for you?
          How could you do that to such a wonderful lady?
          Go find a decent E for her or at least a Kawasaki or something.
          An L??? My god, man!
          Might as well let her ride a Honda.
          SHe LIKES the 550L...She's not all that tall, and is pretty tiny on top of it, so having to heft an E with its taller seat is a little troublesome for her, and it being her FIRST BIKE, i wanted her not to worry about that at first. When she feels like moving up, we'll find her an E...trust me... maybe a 1000

Comment

Just wrapping this thread up for anyone searching with similar symptoms: The air box was in fact rusted shut at the connection to the crankcase breather as Brian described. I wish I had listened to him before checking compression.

Anyhow, no oil puddles after putting everything back together and thrashing it at the WV rally. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
            X