No announcement yet.

air box dripping oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had to stop working tonight before I got into full-blown gorilla mode again. I was already barefoot.

What sort of thing should I look for that would prevent me from getting the jugs clear of the studs? The pistons are out of the sleeves, the cam chain and the wire I tied to it are through, and the cam chain tensioner/guide seems to be free. It feels like the threaded portion of the middle studs is hanging up just before clearing the bottom of the jugs. What did I miss?
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Getting those suckers off by yourself is kinda tricky sometimes. The studs will kinda bend in a bit toward the middle, and hang up a little. It doesnt help that you're trying NOT to drop the chain down the chute etc etc. Oh, did you PULL the front cam chain guide? It has to come out completely. You didnt remove the tensioner? Thats gotta come out. that guide curves back, and the tensioner rod will hang on it too..Gimmie a call if ya want, im up..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        Getting those suckers off by yourself is kinda tricky sometimes. The studs will kinda bend in a bit toward the middle, and hang up a little. It doesnt help that you're trying NOT to drop the chain down the chute etc etc. Oh, did you PULL the front cam chain guide? It has to come out completely. You didnt remove the tensioner? Thats gotta come out. that guide curves back, and the tensioner rod will hang on it too..Gimmie a call if ya want, im up..
        Thanks for the clue about the studs bending towards the middle. The way the jugs move, they feel like the studs aren't parallel, but I couldn't think of a reason for them not to be straight. Maybe a heat over time thing. I guess I'll have to try harder. Or maybe I have something around I can use to separate them a bit. I have about 5 days to think about it before I can try again. Thinking is usually better than "try harder".

I may have dropped the chain in at some point, but I have a nice long piece of wire on it. It's hanging out the front now. The front chain guide tried to come out with the head, because I didn't know to take it out before. It ended up sort of lodged in between the chain passage in the upper case and the passage in the head. So there I was holding the head with both hands where the carbs used to be, and this critical piece of unknown fragility lodged in the way. I actually tried blowing on it. Glad I was able to amuse myself there... I don't remember how I got it all free. In fact, I can't remember what I did with that guide. Anyhow, the FSM reminded me to take the tensioner off, so that at least was not a problem.

Getting the jugs off is indeed proving to be tricky. I thought they'd be easy after the head. I wouldn't want to try putting it back together solo. I'd love to stay up and yack about the process, but I really should get to bed so I can work tomorrow and then drive to NY. But first I'm going to go find that cam chain guide (so I can sleep) and have a laugh at my oily (bare)footprints in the garage.
        Dogma
        --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

If you still have problems when ya get back, give me a shout, I will ride down and help ya out. Hell, by that time, Rose might be able to do it faster than you hehehehe. Time's a wasting. Only bout 6 more weeks untill WV Rally buddy. BTW, i dunno if i mentioned this, but if we're doing new piston rings, you'll need to take the cylinders to the machine shop too to have them bore spec them so we know what size rings we need. If we're NOT doing rings, then I would at least hone the cylinders. We'll know more of what we need to do when i can get a look at whats going on. If your first piston ring (the compression ring) feels like a razor, its done, and you'll need em...

Comment

I noticed you bragging on her in my excursion out of the tech forums last night. I thought about mentioning my base gasket...

Seriously though, I haven't had a chance to examine the innards yet. Really, I need to put some experienced eyeballs on it, and I don't own a pair yet. One way or another, I need to either get it up there, or get you down here to give it a look so some decisions can get made. And soon. Like you said, just a few weeks left, and I don't want to be breaking it in on the way to WV. Wendy is out of town the (calendar) week before we leave for WV, and I'd like to take that opportunity to do several hundred miles of shake-down before the trip. That's about 3 weeks from now.

Once the jugs are off, there's not much more for me to do but look for broken rings and scored cylinders. Is there a day next week I could bring it by?
            Dogma
            --

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Yah, bring it by any day that is convienient for you. I usually work nights, but if i happen to work a day shift that day, I will leave the gate unlocked and Rose will likely be here so you can get it into the garage. Be prepared to get greasy, we will have to get crackin pretty quick. You might try calling John Pearson (Pearson Racing) he's in West Alexandria, not to many minutes from here. Top quality machine work, everything from little easy stuff like this to welding cranks. I dunno how packed their schedule is, as its the season, but they might be able to squeeze us in. Or we can find another shop. I just know he comes HIGHLY recommended, and deals specificly in motorcycles.

Comment

If you need a trailer to haul it up to Josh's Dale just let me know, you can use mine.

Odd that it seized like that, was that the loaner?
                "Just Ducky, Thanks!"
                http://i33.servimg.com/u/f33/11/99/01/25/visite10.jpg
                Where I've ridden.

Comment

Originally posted by RageZro View Post
                  If you need a trailer to haul it up to Josh's Dale just let me know, you can use mine.

Odd that it seized like that, was that the loaner?
                  Yeah, it was the loaner. I haven't had time to search for a replacement fitting. The deposit is over $40, so I definitely want that back. If I have to keep the stupid thing, I'll want the fitting even more. One good thing is, the loaners go out for 90 days, so I have some time.

Thanks for the offer on the trailer. I may give you a call if I can't get the lights figured out on mine. Then again, it may be the wiring in my car... Probably Wednesday evening before I can attack that, maybe tomorrow. Right after I finish getting the jugs off and snap some pics with the new camera.
                  Dogma
                  --

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Yah, bring it by any day that is convienient for you. I usually work nights, but if i happen to work a day shift that day, I will leave the gate unlocked and Rose will likely be here so you can get it into the garage. Be prepared to get greasy, we will have to get crackin pretty quick. You might try calling John Pearson (Pearson Racing) he's in West Alexandria, not to many minutes from here. Top quality machine work, everything from little easy stuff like this to welding cranks. I dunno how packed their schedule is, as its the season, but they might be able to squeeze us in. Or we can find another shop. I just know he comes HIGHLY recommended, and deals specificly in motorcycles.
                    I'll let you know as soon as I'm ready to move it. Is that the place Steve used? I'll give them a call ASAP, and give that a higher priority than moving the bike, if they can take it right away. Need to inspect the rings first..
                    Dogma
                    --

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

'Twasn't the studs leaning in. It was the base gasket and maybe other gunk catching on the bottom of the threads. I didn't have enough oomph to force it past, so I slung the cylinders from the frame and handle bars with a ratchet strap. I just snugged it with the ratchet, then spread the straps by hand to get leverage, but with control. Almost easy.
                      Dogma
                      --

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

...You might try calling John Pearson (Pearson Racing) he's in West Alexandria, not to many minutes from here.
                        I called several times today, and I only ever got voice mail. I left a message, but he never called back. Is this a one man show that goes fishin' occasionally?
                        Dogma
                        --

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

I had the same problem on my 650G. I think there are two small allen bolts on either end, which I missed on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                            I called several times today, and I only ever got voice mail. I left a message, but he never called back. Is this a one man show that goes fishin' occasionally?
                            Tis the season to go fasty...Pearson specializes i guess in cranks. There are those on here who say there are only to places in the US they let touch their racing cranks and he's one of them. So, its a good chance that he may not have time. I suggest we start looking elsewhere. I will give Steve a call tomorrow and get the name of the place he used. You might try searching the web for some local stuff and calling around. Some machine shops that do car jugs wont do motorbike jugs..why? I dunno, maybe their tooling isnt small enough, etc etc. We'll get her figgered out broseph. I just stripped, polished, and rebuilt a set of forks (with the help of Rose, I told you, she's gonna be able to rebuild that sucker for you by the time you get here with it..lol) in the time it takes most people to change their oil...First time too!! WOooHOOoo. Interesting way those are put together, but once you figure it out, they're cake.

Comment

Dale, call Pro-Stock in Miamitown, they will have a list of shops in the area I'm pretty sure.
                              "Just Ducky, Thanks!"
                              http://i33.servimg.com/u/f33/11/99/01/25/visite10.jpg
                              Where I've ridden.

Comment

I just got off the phone with Pearson. Sounds like a nice guy and a meticulous machinist (something I'm familiar with). At any rate, I can tentatively bring it up Saturday morning and maybe get it done while I'm there. Otherwise it'll get done for next week. He offered to let me bring it by in the evening too. If we can get a decision made on the rings, I may try to get it up there sooner.

I was ready to start looking for someone more local, but I got a good vibe from this guy after talking to him. Especially if he's willing to help me out over a weekend or an avening. And half a day to return a call isn't really bad. I'm just antsy.

Let's see how fast I can get these things cleaned up, checked out, and ready to go.
                                Dogma
                                --

--
                                '80 GS850 GLT
                                '80 GS1000 GT
                                '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Working...
                                X