Oil filter cover screws stripped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil filter cover screws stripped

Does anyone know if I can replace the bolts that my oil filter cover is held on by? 1981 GS850, and the 3 bolts that stick out from around the filter are all stripped, so I can't put my oil filter in and put the cover on.

Any ideas? It may be simple, but alas so am I.

thank you

-mike, getting closer

Yes, they can be replaced. Part # is 01421-06208 and they cost about $1 ea. I would check with a local dealer for them if you order from the internet you will pay more in shipping then the extra that a dealer will charge.
    If the threads are not too stripped you can thread on two nuts and use the back nut to turn the old stud out. If they are too stripped for this method just use a pair of vise grips to back out the old ones and then use the two nuts to thread the new stud into the engine. Pretty simple to fix if you just take your time and try not to strip the threads where they go into the engine and don't over-tighten the nuts once you get the new filter back in.

Comment

The three studs are easy to replace. Sounds like you have the cover off already and the things are stripped where the nuts screw on.

Grip the studs with vice grips and remove them. They are screwed into the case like a normal bolt. The exhaust pipes will probably be in the way.

Either replace the studs or get some longer screws and remove the heads. Replacing the studs is the better option. Use some blue (not too severe) locktite to hold them into the case.

If the studs are stripped into the case you need to helicoil the case and replace the studs as before.

Kim

Comment

i was *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ed last winter when i put the bike away...i was changing the oil before storing it and stripped one of the screws that holds the cover ON the stud. :x it wouldnt' screw up or down at all. luckily we blasted it with an impact gun and the whole stud came out. i gently used a bolt instead of the stud and nut to hold the cover on.

~Adam

Comment

Thanks to all of you, I'm sure I can take care of it now. I kinda thought these were my options but I'd end up vice gripping my thumbs as a form of self-punishment if I went and did the wrong thing and made it worse.

Thanks again.

-mike

Comment

I stripped a couple of studs and just replaced them with bolts.
            Leaving one of the studs on helps line everything up while I'm
            depressing the spring loaded cap with one hand and installing
            the two bolts with the other.
            I think it's much easier, of course I have little fat fingers
            and certain things are a little difficult for me anyway

Peace
            Mo

Comment

Working...
            X