Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interchangibility. Gas Tank and Wheels

Hello all,
    I am in the process of rebuilding my 81 gs750. I have put on a cafe style solo seat from roccitycafe.com, some smaller directionals, drag bars, and a bar end mirror on the bike. To finish off the look im goin for I would like to put on wire wheels and the older gs tank.

Does anyone know for sure if the older gs wheels (spoked) and fuel tank (lower and flatter) will go on my 81??

Does anyone have a good resource to look at for used gs parts.

Thanks in advance.

Rich.

I KNOW the 70s 8valve tank will NOT fit that model frame. Ive tried. The spoke wheels can be used, but will require just a bit of spacing mods, nothing hard. However, you cant fit anything wider than a 120 rear on the spoked rims without pinch, so if thats an issue for you, id stick with the mags. And, spoked rims require a bit more upkeep and maintainence than the mags..so be prepared for that as well.

Comment

Thanks for the response cafekid. Nice bike by the way. i am starting to think I may just gather the parts i have gathered (cafe parts) and ride my bike then just get a gs with spokes and a nice tank on it already. like a 78 or something.

Comment

If you can cut tanks and reweld them you certainly can make something work, The tank mounts front and back are the most obvious starting points. I'm not a fabricator so I would not know where to begin but there are plenty of customized bikes in threads over in the appearance mods section.

For parts the GSR is as good a place as any, of course there is ebay.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
        X