Fire shooting from exhaust when idling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire shooting from exhaust when idling?

What does it mean when you have fire chooting from your exhaust when it is idling and how can I fix it? Thanks

Sounds like a very painful std you got there, i'd suggest a trip to the doc asap

Comment

Originally posted by festus View Post
      What does it mean when you have fire chooting from your exhaust when it is idling and how can I fix it? Thanks
      I was wondering how I could get mine to shoot fire out of the exhaust!

No, seriously, my guess is your are getting some fuel in there which could mean a bad petcock.

Is it backfiring and then flaming? More details please. A picture would be cool.

Rick

Comment

It is backfireing and then popping flames. I want to ride it so bad that I can taste it. Can not afford to take it to the shop.

Comment

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Check that your exhaust flanges are tight, or could be a bad gasket causing an air leak.
            Thieves.....kill them all.

Comment

Did you rebuild the carbs yet?
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Have not had the money yet butb I believe that the petcock is junk. If you put it on prime it does okay, little too much fuel but when you put it on run it starves for fuel. Thought about trying an inline filter to restrict the fuel flow some and run on prime till I can get a new petcock. Money is really tight.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Do you laugh as hard at yourself as I do at you?
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                  79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

The petcock needs to be removed and cleaned, but it cannot cause this problem.

It appears you are getting too much fuel in the exhaust, and it is being ignited while in there, which you note as backfire. You could have a carb on one cylinder that is not shutting off when full, thus allowing too much fuel into the cylinder where it does not all get burned, but you must check for ignition and valve timing.

Edit: A compression check might also be used.
                    Last edited by argonsagas; 06-14-2009, 04:00 PM.
                    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Are you running straight pipes?
                      Last edited by Nessism; 06-14-2009, 04:01 PM.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Well after alot of cussing and work we got it running good enough to ride, but it is rough!!!!! To say the least. I am going to have to rebuild the carbs. If it will make it for at least 2 more pay days I can get the stuff to redo the carbs. It spits and sputters but it goes okay. I can not wait to get it to running the way it should. I love mu ugly little bike. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by festus View Post
                          It is backfireing and then popping flames. I want to ride it so bad that I can taste it. Can not afford to take it to the shop.
                          i bet you CAN taste it...you sound like you're so rich its loading up in the pipe after the exhaust stroke, and its also possible you have a couple of exhaust gasket leaks too...

Comment

Where are you in Alabama? I have the next couple of weekends free, and I'm next door in Mississippi.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What bike and what year? Also what carbs if you happen to know?

Comment

Working...
                              X