No announcement yet.

Running Rough & Out of Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While doing the basics (valve clearances, et al) did you also thoroughly clean the carbs (take off, dip carb bodies & jets & bowls & blow compressed air through all the holes)? For you to get a proper baseline, the carbs should be very clean.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by blizzard View Post
      Thank you, I am not too far off of that I guess I need a little fine tuning.
      With the bike running, set the side air screws at highest idle. Then do some plug chops riding the bike at minimum throttle and adjust the fuel screws accordingly. turning the fuel screws out richens the mixture. If your bike is not ready to ride, you can run it stationary at minimum throttle (say 4,000 rpm) for a couple of minutes, then ready your plugs. If you do it that way, have a fan running on your engine so you don't overheat it.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by Roland View Post
        1978 GS750E

-Shim Clearances between .04 to .09
        Sorry, but this is in mm right?

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
          Sorry, but this is in mm right?
          Yep; he said it was in an earlier post.

Comment

Not sure if this helps, but in your first post you said it ran good and idled at 1500. Isn't that a high idle shouldn't it have been more like 1000-1100?
            I would think something wasn't right to begin with if it idled at 1500. Just thinking, Good luck

Comment

Running much better

I adjusted the Fuel screw & the Air Screw for best performance adjusting the Air Screw for highest Idle and Fuel Screw for nice blue flame with Color Tune. I was not able to adjust the fuel screws on #2&#3 well at all but suspect they are close.

Apparently some time in the history of the bike the points had been upgraded to Dyna S Ignition
              I checked the timing and it is nearly spot on when above 2500rpm slightly off and a bit spotty under 1500.

But here is something I noticed with the timing light. The #3Plug was the only nearly steady strobe. #2 was very spotty, #1&#4 were not perfect but better than #2. What this is indicating to me is that although it appears to be enough to ignite the fuel, the spark on #2 is poor and a possible indication that the coils need to be replaced.

What are your thoughts on this?

Comment

Running Rough & Out of Ideas

P.S. during my test run yesterday there was no hesitation at all, no bogging down, I was able to easily accelerate to 95-100mph and able to easily maintain 90-95.

Sounds Great <although a bit dangerous> problems solved right?
                "I wish". As I was completing my test run, I pulled off the highway and she stalled at the light and I had little difficulty getting it started again. Idling still seems to need to be above 1500.

Comment

Working...
                X