Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82-83 1100E rear rack fabrication

Enough is Enough...

I'm tired of looking online for this dayum rack. Please for the love of the GS god, can one of you lucky rack owners post some shots of how this thing is put together and how it is mounted. Size specs would be a bonus too.

A friend of mine just fabricated a really nice rack for his DRZ-400.

I am now making it a goal to fabricate this thing for the 1100.

thanks

Originally posted by maro View Post
    Enough is Enough...

I'm tired of looking online for this dayum rack. Please for the love of the GS god, can one of you lucky rack owners post some shots of how this thing is put together and how it is mounted. Size specs would be a bonus too.

thanks
    Which rack might this be?

Comment

Enough is Enough...

thanks
      Josh, perhaps youd care to collaborate with Cole, Mike Riddle and myself. Cole and I have come up with a design pretty close to the common 1100 rack but slightly flatter that will work for ALL model GS's. We started taking measurements from the 6 or 7 different models of GS that i have had sitting around the house here, and we found there are only TWO different distances from shock mount to rear signal bolts. 14 inches, and 16 inches. The highth and width of all the models are pretty much the same, tho we'd add a quarter inch so that models with tail cowlings that follow the rear frame rails will still clear. What is the ONE common thing between all the STANDARD GS models? They all have the distinct GS tappered tail. Some are more modern, but even the old 750s duck tail still has essentially the same taper. I think our goal is to produce these from aluminum, in chrome or powdercoated black. We will offer a mini butt stop, basicly a short sissy bar, only a couple inches high so as not to look completely out of place on the "sport" GSs like the 1100...and then a full on sissy bar for those that would like the taller back pad. With our construction design, we're pretty sure these should EASILY support up to 60lbs, and really you dont want more than that hanging off the back of the bike if you can avoid it. We have a guy that can weld im pretty sure, still working out the details, we just need to find a cheaper source for materials. I think we could make each of these strong, and nice, and still make a decent proffit off of them without busting peoples heads (we're likely shooting for a 100-150 dollar price point, compare that to the 200 plus bucks you'd pay IF you happened to find one on ebay) If they work out well enough, we've even thought to design a taller one, GK-esque for those who'd like to mount a trunk with a backrest. let me know if you're interested in working together, perhaps you have some sources and ideas we havent thought of...

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs1100 View Post
        Which rack might this be?

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        Josh, perhaps youd care to collaborate with Cole, Mike Riddle and myself. Cole and I have come up with a design pretty close to the common 1100 rack but slightly flatter that will work for ALL model GS's. We started taking measurements from the 6 or 7 different models of GS that i have had sitting around the house here, and we found there are only TWO different distances from shock mount to rear signal bolts. 14 inches, and 16 inches. The highth and width of all the models are pretty much the same, tho we'd add a quarter inch so that models with tail cowlings that follow the rear frame rails will still clear. What is the ONE common thing between all the STANDARD GS models? They all have the distinct GS tappered tail. Some are more modern, but even the old 750s duck tail still has essentially the same taper. I think our goal is to produce these from aluminum, in chrome or powdercoated black. We will offer a mini butt stop, basicly a short sissy bar, only a couple inches high so as not to look completely out of place on the "sport" GSs like the 1100...and then a full on sissy bar for those that would like the taller back pad. With our construction design, we're pretty sure these should EASILY support up to 60lbs, and really you dont want more than that hanging off the back of the bike if you can avoid it. We have a guy that can weld im pretty sure, still working out the details, we just need to find a cheaper source for materials. I think we could make each of these strong, and nice, and still make a decent proffit off of them without busting peoples heads (we're likely shooting for a 100-150 dollar price point, compare that to the 200 plus bucks you'd pay IF you happened to find one on ebay) If they work out well enough, we've even thought to design a taller one, GK-esque for those who'd like to mount a trunk with a backrest. let me know if you're interested in working together, perhaps you have some sources and ideas we havent thought of...

Josh
        Interesting. So are you thinking of coming up with a template and then fabricating a limited number and seeing how they sell?

I'm only familiar with the KG line of racks and those seem to be way heavy and stick out way too far thus interupting the lines. My feeling is that if you want a large rack to haul stuff, there are plenty of universal racks on ebay that can be modded to fit your GS. However, something that stays with the lines of the bike, as you described above, is what I am after. I would only use it for a shopping bag, sleeping bag... light weight posessions. I know my buddy literally took some metal piping, bent and welded. I need to find out the spec on what guage/type metal piping he used, etc.

Off the top I'm not sure what or how I could help you manufacture the all around GS rack. Let me think about it and maybe I can be of service to you guys one way or another. I know I really like the look of the rack depicted above and would want to stay close to those lines for my bike.

Meanwhile, I wouldn't mind fabing something up soon for the WV ralley...na'mean.

anyone with some close ups and dimensions. I could just wing it, but any help would suffice

Comment

Interesting. So are you thinking of coming up with a template and then fabricating a limited number and seeing how they sell?

I'm only familiar with the KG line of racks and those seem to be way heavy and stick out way too far thus interupting the lines. My feeling is that if you want a large rack to haul stuff, there are plenty of universal racks on ebay that can be modded to fit your GS. However, something that stays with the lines of the bike, as you described above, is what I am after. I would only use it for a shopping bag, sleeping bag... light weight posessions. I know my buddy literally took some metal piping, bent and welded. I need to find out the spec on what guage/type metal piping he used, etc.

Off the top I'm not sure what or how I could help you manufacture the all around GS rack. Let me think about it and maybe I can be of service to you guys one way or another. I know I really like the look of the rack depicted above and would want to stay close to those lines for my bike.

Meanwhile, I wouldn't mind fabing something up soon for the WV ralley...na'mean.

anyone with some close ups and dimensions. I could just wing it, but any help would suffice
          Thats the design we're shooting for. Only like I said we plan to do it in Alu...to keep it much lighter than the tube steel they used on the one you see in the pic. While it will be a little more difficult in the welding stage, if the guy im talking to works out, it shouldnt be a problem. Mikey Riddle has one of those babies, so we can get diminsions from him. Ours would be available with the 14" spacing, or the 16" spacing, depending on what your bike needs. And, because of the tappered rear cowl, we think they'll not only fit, but look damn sexy on ANY of the standard GSs. The big racks are great for people who want to mount a trunk, but for those of us who just use soft bags and or a tail bag, this is PERFECT... we shall keep everyone informed. Hope to be making up some prototypes this fall, when riding season draws to a close, and wrenching season starts (seems to never end for me though....LOL)

Comment

Thats the design we're shooting for. Only like I said we plan to do it in Alu...to keep it much lighter than the tube steel they used on the one you see in the pic. While it will be a little more difficult in the welding stage, if the guy im talking to works out, it shouldnt be a problem. Mikey Riddle has one of those babies, so we can get diminsions from him. Ours would be available with the 14" spacing, or the 16" spacing, depending on what your bike needs. And, because of the tappered rear cowl, we think they'll not only fit, but look damn sexy on ANY of the standard GSs. The big racks are great for people who want to mount a trunk, but for those of us who just use soft bags and or a tail bag, this is PERFECT... we shall keep everyone informed. Hope to be making up some prototypes this fall, when riding season draws to a close, and wrenching season starts (seems to never end for me though....LOL)
            Word! well, sounds like the way to go and if I can bring something to the table, I certainly would love to help ya'll out. At the very least I could build ya a kick ass website for promotional reasons! (I'm a graphic designer by trade)

Guess I will try and PM mike and see if he can take some close up shots of this thing for me. No offense to you guys, but I know things like this GS rack project can sometimes take a bit longer to come to fruition than expected...that's coming first hand.

Comment

Word! well, sounds like the way to go and if I can bring something to the table, I certainly would love to help ya'll out. At the very least I could build ya a kick ass website for promotional reasons! (I'm a graphic designer by trade)

Guess I will try and PM mike and see if he can take some close up shots of this thing for me. No offense to you guys, but I know things like this GS rack project can sometimes take a bit longer to come to fruition than expected...that's coming first hand.
              Well I know they're too different things, but if you can try your hand at a technical drawing, based on what pics mike can send and what measurements i can get off of him, that would definately be a help! and a website would be UBER handy...

BTW, I see your little sig line down there, and while the Champahhhgknee 1100s were indeed fast, EVERYONE knows THE fastest 1100's came in Pearl White and Metalic Blue
              Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2009, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Hi Mr. maro,

I found this on some guy's website.

Maybe it will help.

Luggage Carrier Fabrication
                (by Mr. Matchless)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  I found this on some guy's website.
                  You crack me up Cliffy.

I'll read through this. thanks!

Comment

That rack on my old 1100E took me two years and a lot of money to buy. I don't know if you guys realize it, but it also has a backrest that can come on and off in a matter of seconds. IMHO, that rack fits the lines of the 82-83 1100E better than any other I have seen. I spent $150 on the friggin thing used off e-bay.

Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I was just about to PM Mike for some close-ups. Thanks for the pic Jethro

Comment

My my .. that is one handsome GS1100E

That little sissybar is very handy for packing stuff on.

Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2009, 12:05 PM.

Comment

ill post a pic up of mine later when i get home

i bought it from a member on here
                          i was gonna copy it already made up mounts and main runners

ill prob finish it up and then sell it

Comment

Working...
                          X