Sometimes tight is too tight!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes tight is too tight!

So I'm laying on the floor putting the premuffler on my 83GS850GL in it's final stage of reconstruction and inserting the 3 spacered bolts that hold it in. Got 'em finger tight, so naturally I pick up the socket and put the final German spec torque on them (Gut-en-tite). In doing so I managed to snap one off in the engine casing. Agitated is a kind description of my reaction! Now instead of finishing the assembly today I have to find the proper size EZOut and drill the bugger without destroying the threads while laying on my side with the bike leaned over. ADVICE TO OTHERS:
    finger tight--then torque with a good torque wrench. Leave the muscleman stuff to the Chevy wrench monkeys

Now, I just have to ask ...

Is that picture of you or one of your Chevy wrench monkeys? ;-k

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Do NOT try an EZ Out!

They NEVER work!

It'll snap off, I guarantee you, and then you'll be well and truly stuck. Those fraudulent little buggers have caused more heartbreak and wailing than the Chicago Cubs.

Get a set of reverse drill bits and use a lot of thread cutting lubricant, some heat, and patience.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        Do NOT try an EZ Out!

They NEVER work!

It'll snap off, I guarantee you, and then you'll be well and truly stuck. Those fraudulent little buggers have caused more heartbreak and wailing than the Chicago Cubs.

Get a set of reverse drill bits and use a lot of thread cutting lubricant, some heat, and patience.
        This is sooooooooooooooooo true. I just broke two! What a waste, this was all in haste. Hey, this rhymes.

Rick

Comment

EZ outs are not. We occasionally get something in with a broken bolt or tap, easy work to get out. The broken EZ out has to be edm'ed out. Definitely get the left hand drills.

Comment

Is that bolt in the oil pan? It might be worth your while to pull the pan and work on it on where you can see it. Clean and inspect the oil screen while you are in there. You can also run the bike with 1 of those small bolts missing since most of the weight is held by the rear frame mounts.

Comment

Thanks fellow Zooks--the left-handed drill bits it is! Fortunatly my son has some. No; that is my grandson in the signature. His daddy is a bowtie freak however, and I am initiating the young man into the wonderful world of motorcycle maintainance. Now if I could just figure out how to get him hired...

Comment

The oil pan is clean, new screen, all put back together--NOT GOING THERE. I will work the bugger out from the outside--carefully. Thanks for the input though..

Comment

Working...
                X