Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compatibility

Hey everyone,

Perhaps its just me being a complete newbie with motorcycles, but it seems hard to find parts for my '83 GS550. Most parts are labeled til '82. Are all GS' compatible? What parts are or aren't? I am in particular looking for either new carbs, or just a rebuild kit and i'll attempt it myself. (Yeah I just go all out and go for it). I've been searching for some other things as well but I am just curious to the compatibility for things.

Thanks,
    Rob

See post #3.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
      awesome! thanks a lot.

Comment

so i tried it... i was wondering if there were any other carbs that would work on the 83' gs550l?

Comment

Why would you want to replace them ?

Get an o-ring kit. It includes all the o-rings to rebuild them. You can also get the intake o-rings if they are required for your bike.

Follow the carb rebuild guide. It looks intimidating, but, it's really an easy thing to do. Just take care when removing the float pins.

Search the forums concerning carbs. There's gotta be a bijillion threads about them.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

oh ok, whenever i would look for carb rebuild kits... the 83 was never included in the year range. thats why i was wondering what years were the same? i'm totally new when it comes to these bikes.

Comment

The carb bodies are the same on the '83-'86 550s. The jets and cams are not, but that's only clear from a manual that covers all the years (not the '83 shop manual floating around) or the alpha-sports fiche (and not the parts fiche everyone else has).

'83-'85 550E/ES engines are 16 valve. Earlier are 8 valve. The L engines may have made the change a year or two later.

Comment

Originally posted by p_s View Post
                The carb bodies are the same on the '83-'86 550s. The jets and cams are not, but that's only clear from a manual that covers all the years (not the '83 shop manual floating around) or the alpha-sports fiche (and not the parts fiche everyone else has).

'83-'85 550E/ES engines are 16 valve. Earlier are 8 valve. The L engines may have made the change a year or two later.

sorry for the hijack but do tell what variations in cams existed?
                what magical manual is it you speak of?
                Oh and what is worng witht he carbs you have?

They most likely need cleaning and jets are still readily gotten.
                not sure about the insanely pricy diaphraghms though.

Comment

From everything I've read here, the carb rebuild kits are crap. I've never used one myself.

I'm sure that's why our own Robert Barr has spent his time and money to assemble carb o-ring packages for our bikes. You won't find anything less expensive. If you need them you'll have to get some bowl gasket on your own. They are easy to find.

Have you been to BassCliff's site ?

He has compiled a TON of info concerning our bikes. My best recomendation is to read, read, read. Search the forums and read, read, read.

I knew next to nothing when I began working on my bike. I'm certainly no expert, but I know more than I did then.
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
                    sorry for the hijack but do tell what variations in cams existed?
                    what magical manual is it you speak of?

My carbs are fine. The OP's aren't.
                    All the information you want is in the alpha sports fiche. I'm told the cams became milder. The jets did get smaller. The Haynes & Clymers do not say that the cams changed, but they do list the jetting variation. The pirated '83 Suzuki GS550E/ES factory manual does not show the changes they made after 1983.

Last time I checked, cycleorings/Robert Barr doesn't make a kit for this bike. McMaster has all the o-rings in buna or viton pretty cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post

I actually have not even had a chance to try and start the bike yet. My car being stolen was put on a higher priority than a project bike i acquired haha.

I figured the carbs would need a rebuild anyone being that its an '83. Though perhaps I should try to get the bike started before I start ripping it apart

Comment

Working...
                      X