Back after a long absence with engine assembly questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back after a long absence with engine assembly questions

Well, got my cylinder block and head back from APE about a month ago, and finally yesterday got a chance to start assembly (1981 GS1000G). Run into a couple of situations.

First, my Athena "Complete" gasket set appears to not contain the rubber O-ring to goes around the trough for the cam chain. That's what stopped me dead in my tracks yesterday. I looked on Bike Bandit and it's listed as $20.00... seriously, $20.00 for an o-ring? Does anyone know if it's available elsewhere?

Second, my lovely Athena Head gasket seems to have 4 copper crush washers with it. These go on the 4 corners correct? On top of the Head gasket?

Third, the Bike bandit schematic seems to show rubber orings between the base gasket and the cylinder block. Is this correct, or is that some old style of gasket and new ones don't contain those o-rings. The orings could potentially be in the bag of goodies with my gasket set (though the one for the cam chain isn't). I would hate having to pull the block off and to put them in place, but if I need to glad I found it now, not after I had already torqued the whole thing down.

I'm not talking about the oblong o-rings. Those are in place. I mean #5 below, that is that doing there? I don't remember seeing it when I disassembled.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
      I'm not talking about the oblong o-rings. Those are in place. I mean #5 below, that is that doing there? I don't remember seeing it when I disassembled.
      They might have still been on there when you sent you block in. Put them on as they help prevent leaks.

Comment

Two of us got the rings compressed and the block on using picks in about 30 minutes, so not the end of the world, but.. DAMNIT!

Comment

the orings in question go on the piston sleeves and sit in a groove in the block. they should be fitted i think as it stops oil seeping its way into the base gasket and gradually wetting it until it will eventually fail
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

"the orings in question go on the piston sleeves and sit in a groove in the block. they should be fitted i think as it stops oil seeping its way into the base gasket and gradually wetting it until it will eventually fail"

Got it. I'll pull the block back off. I believe I DID see those in my "complete" gasket set.

Anybody used the head gaskets that have the copper washers?

Comment

Anybody used the head gaskets that have the copper washers?
              Talk to MATCHLESS, he's the expert on gasket sets for the 1000G. He has spoken to the gasket manufacturers about re-assembly issues.

Comment

I don't use those o-rings. Oil really can't get between the sleeves and the block. At least not on mine.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Suzuki stopped using those sleeve O-rings at some point but the Athena GS1000 kit includes them.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Two of us got the rings compressed and the block on using picks in about 30 minutes, so not the end of the world, but.. DAMNIT!
                    Were you using picks to compress the rings? You can make pretty good ring compressors out of margarine tubs and tape if you don't have one. You just cut off the upper rim of the tub and put a slit down the side then cut off the bottom so you have a flat, arced sheet when you're done.

Take that and wrap it around the piston tightly to compress the rings and use masking tape where it overlaps to hold the tension. I've got a couple of metal ring compressors but I usually reach for the peg full of these things for small engine work these days.

/\/\ac

Comment

Working...
                    X