Oil Change Interval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Change Interval

How often should I change the oil on my bike?
    I have not been able to find a thread on oil change interval.
    My bike is an '85 GS550L.
    The Clymer manual states 600 miles, but this seems really low.

How long do you want it to last?
    And what kind of oil are you using?
    What kind of riding are you doing?
    600 is probably for the first change when it was new.
    Couple thousand miles?
    Three? More? It's really up to you.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The factory service manual interval is 2000 miles. I wouldn't let it go longer unless maybe with high quality synthetic oil.
      Last edited by Nessism; 06-15-2009, 04:00 PM.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I dont let my oil get past 2500 miles between changes. Aircooled motors are A LOT tougher on oil (even todays oil) than your standard watercooled motor.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. I knew that an air cooled engine oil change interval would be lower than a liquid cooled engine, but 600 sounded really low.
          I'll change it at 2000 miles then.

Thanks again.

Comment

I use Rotella synthetic and change it every 4000 or once a year. If you idle a lot or ride in dusty conditions go sooner.

Note, if you have problems with the carbs and it's running rich or poorly, this can dirty the oil faster and necessitate an oil change.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I use the cheap Rotela T dino oil. $10 gal. Change it every 1K -1.5K
              Filter every other change

Comment

Really if you think about it, 10,000 miles of long distance high speed cruising is probably easier on an engine's oil than 1,000 miles of stop and go city crap. Racing, dusty dirt roads, short trips, all of it is hard on oil. Blowby, rich running, overheating, sitting idle for months and running in a poor state of tune all take their toll on the oil. Any magic mileage numbers are completely meaningless since none of these factors are taken into account. And do you really want the engine to last 200,000 miles? 100 or 200 oil changes costs a lot, at some point top end rebuilds are cheaper than numerous oil changes.
                Change it when it seems like a good idea for the kind of riding you do, in your circumstances.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I change my filter twice a year and the oil when my shifting starts to get hard. Probably around 1.5 K.
                  I use Chevron 20/50 my wife gets for free from her gas station shops.
                  I ride very hard in a very dusty town.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                  X