Now she's running, now dealing with handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now she's running, now dealing with handling

I just finished replacing the stator and R/R on my 1979 GS 1000 and roughing in the carb tuning with headers, pods, and a Stage 3 Dynojet kit, and while riding it feels REALLY unstable, squirrely even when going in a straight line. The bike has Kenda Challengers of unknown age, they're not dryrotted, but seem a little hard. As far as I've been able to tell, the wheel bearings and steering head bearings are good, don't know if the steering -head bearings have been changed over to tapered-roller, but I doubt it. I haven't checked the swing arm bearings, am pretty sure the wheels are true and in line. The rims are spokers with alloy rims. The shocks are new Ikons. Any suggestions other than the stuff I've mentioned to check to improve the stability? It's almost too unstable to ride.
    Last edited by jknappsax; 06-15-2009, 04:17 PM.
    1979 GS 1000

It came with tapered roller, but are they adjusted too tight?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Are the axle nuts and assemblies put together correctly and tightened properly?

Check the centerline. Make sure the rear tracks the front tire and that both are straight.

Swingarm bearings. They are not just for breakfast anymore. Check the preload on the bearings and the lock nuts if so equipped.

If you need another set of eyes let me know, I can make a run to your place again, just PM your address again.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Any signs the chassis is bent?

Checking wheel alignment is easy - a long string, some duct tape and maybe another set of hands

Put bike on centerstand
        Put string about 8" above ground, tape to front tire
        Run to back tire - adjust height so it doesn't hit anything - tape in place
        Run it up the other side of the bike and tape to front wheel
        The string needs to be fairly tight
        Check tape to sidewall clearance, especially at the back of the front wheel

Make sure the front wheel is straight (extra hands)

Your tires are not unknown vintage - check the date code (4 numbers, like 0702)

The GS 1000 is one of the most stable platforms out there
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I bet the tires are junk.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            I bet the tires are junk.
            That's what I think as well. Before placing an order for tires it can't hurt to look at the other things.

Jack, you can order tires to my house and we can use the tire changing machine I have to replace them. With tubes it can be tough but the machine makes it easy.

And I live in a state without sales tax, makes it cheaper yet.

Comment

Are the spoke wheels true?? If you dont know, id pull em off and have em checked, and get new tires while you're at it. Take it to a shop that DEALS in spoked rims (IE a dirtbike shop) because they're going to be the ones that can true em up, and will take care putting the new tires on..

Comment

I can check that. I build spoke rims. Built the ones on my yamaha. But that is probably not the cause since there are so many spokes it would have to be accident damaged for it to cause a problem.

It could also be fork seals or fluid differences between the two..
                Last edited by duaneage; 06-16-2009, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X