Replacing carbs - any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing carbs - any suggestions?

HI guys. After cleaning my BS34 carbs for the 3rd time, I noticed that one of the fuel screws is broken off inside. I've tried to get it out with compressed air, WD40, dental picks, wire, and tweezers, and no dice. The path to the needle takes a 90* bend in the carb body, so there is no way to drill it out from the skinny end. I'll try one more time with a butane torch and then compressed air, but I'm not hopeful.

Few questions: would it be ok to run it like this? If it's only lean at idle, is it that bad? Next, if I have to replace the carb, can anyone suggest a good candidate for replacement? I'm thinking either one of the same BS34 carbs or maybe even a VM style, which might make my pod system easier to control. Playing with air filters was bad enough, estimating a different kind of carb for replacement sounds like lunacy.

Any help would be appreciated.

On mine I "had" to drill out 2 pilot jets and I think 2 idle screws.

The pilot jets were pretty easy and didn't have any problems, the idle screws were more of an issue.little more fun. I'm assuming you're talking about the idles screws?

I determined what size drill bit was just smaller than the threads, and went to it. Once it just barely drilled though the threaded part, I was able to remove the rest.
    Worked really well on the pilot jets, idle screws were trickier. One of them I did mess up on...

Bought a rack of carbs to replace that one body I ruined.

Sold another one of the carbs, have the other two lying around somewhere to save the day for someone else.

If you try everything else, take your time and try the drill. Just be careful and be prepared to buy a new body worst case...

Comment

Originally posted by atchbo View Post
      ... would it be ok to run it like this? If it's only lean at idle, is it that bad?
      It's not just lean "at idle", it's lean any time you are at very small throttle openings.

Which, by the way, is probably about 75% of the time you are riding on the street.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i have some extra carb bodies laying around off a 81 450. let me know wich one you need and i'll check and see if i have it.
        I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
        1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

hey Kparkfan, can you send me a PM with some details? I have a wrecker in town and might be able to find what I need, but if you happened to have some old carbs and I could just swap over the jets etc, that might be the way to go. Are they BS34 carbs? Do they have the push/pull throttle assembly? How much, etc?

Thanks in advance,
          Atchbo.

Comment

Working...
          X