Float "post" broken - am I screwed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Float "post" broken - am I screwed?

Back when I was trying to get my floats out of the carbs, I was having some trouble so I took a hammer and a small screwdriver and hit the float pins out. Most played nice, except for one pin. Apparently, that caused enough damage to start a crack in the little post, and today it just fell off.

Any chance I can get it welded back on? I am in (southern) Maryland if anyone knows a good metal/machine shop that does welding.

Bike is a 1982 GS650G with the Mikuni CV carbs. It was Carb#3, for what it's worth.

Summer repairs - the fun has just begun
    Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2009, 06:55 PM. Reason: more info

its cast aluminum that equals good luck. I would try finding a new carb body

Comment

I would drill a small hole into the post, and the carb body where the post is, and use JB weld to attach the post.

Also, you might be able to just use one float post. It's a very tight fit in the bowl, so the pin won't go anywhere,

Comment

YOU can not just use one post!! JB is temporary. Drill & tap both pieces for a 4/40 screw (cut head off). works best with a dril press !! Brass tube pressed onto the remainder-drilled for the pin. Welding maybe ?? as it has been done..

Comment

Gasoline and epoxie do not work well long term.

Comment

If repairing it is not an option, and need a replacement:

I'm thinking our bikes would use the same carbs.

I ended up buying a spare rack of them to fix a broken aspect on one of my four.

I still have two left -- not exactly sure which ones.
            I know of them them is an outside, and fairly sure I sold #2.

So it comes down to did I have to use one of the outsides or was it #3 to repair mine.... I can't recall.

I'll look around and let you know, but otherwise I'm sure other people as well might have ended up in a similar situation and have extras about and they could help you even.

Comment

Originally posted by fb9 View Post

I ended up buying a spare rack of them to fix a broken aspect on one of my four.

So it comes down to did I have to use one of the outsides or was it #3 to repair mine.... I can't recall.

I'll look around and let you know, but otherwise I'm sure other people as well might have ended up in a similar situation and have extras about and they could help you even.
              Hey, thanks a bunch! :thumbsup;

I did some googling and it looks like there are a few welding shops in the area (recommended for aluminum, even) so I'll give them a call tomorrow. Hopefully the quotes aren't too bad.

Funny thing - I just took some college classes on fracture mechanics (how things break) and this would be a perfect example to study

Comment

Originally posted by fb9 View Post

that reminds me of dirty harry

"Right now your asking yourself did he shoot 6 shots or 5? ..... Do you feel lucky punk"
                Shortened because i dont remember the middle

Comment

I could fix one with por-15 tank sealer and common house hold thread. Dan

Comment

I found em -- looks like my #3 was the one I replaced.
                    My old one left behind and broken I buggered up the idle screw threads on.

Now that I'm less pressured to fix-it-now, I should see if I can clean up the threads on that and make it potentially serviceable. Worst case I'd have a sweet paper weight.

Oh Dirty Harry, guess the luck just wasn't there

Comment

JB Weld has worked for me if you let it cure long enough.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Pic number 2

Comment

Pic number 3

Comment

Pic number 4

Comment

Working...
                            X