need help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help!!

Anyone in the Chicago area that would not mind helping me with my carb rebuild? I don`t have a garage or shop. I could bring the carbs to you and we could work on them together. I looked at the carb rebuild tips on this website but, it seems a bit too involved to tackle alone. I have the Mikuni 29mm smoothbores .
    sigpic1979 GS 1000E:cool:
    Southside Chicago

If you want to SEND them to me, I will rebuild them for reasonably cheap...

Comment

Keep in mind that a proper carb "rebuild" will take the better part of a week, so wherever you go to help with your carbs, make sure it's close enough to go there for several days or just get comfortable with the idea of sending them off. I would offer to do them, too, but I am not at home and have no experience with the smoothbores, I don't know if they are any different from the smaller VM carbs.

The first day will be a couple hours of cleaning any excess gunk off the outside and taking the rack apart. Then you can take the first carb apart for internal inspection and put it in "the dip" and take the other carbs apart.

The second day is about another hour, which involves taking carb #1 out of "the dip", rinsing it off, spraying cleaner and air through all the passages and jets. When everything is out of the basket, put carb #2 in the dip, assemble carb #1, adjust the floats, set the carb aside.

The third day is like the second day, but with the next carb.

The fourth day is another repeat.

The fifth day will take an additional hour or two, you will take carb #4 out, clean, assemble and adjust it, then assemble the rack and do a bench sync.

If you still have time on the fifth day, you can get the carbs on the bike for further testing.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I am in Ft Wayne, approx. 2.5 hrs away. I don't separate the carbs unless something is broken in a carb body, so a complete cleaning takes 2-4 hours. I have worked in shops and have done hundreds of sets of carbs, with maybe 5 sets of VM29s.

You can bring the bike, or just the carbs and we can test them on my 79 GS1000.

I am not interested in money so much as documenting this simple process that seems to befuddle so many.

Comment

Originally posted by Don-lo View Post
          I am in Ft Wayne, approx. 2.5 hrs away. I don't separate the carbs unless something is broken in a carb body, so a complete cleaning takes 2-4 hours. I have worked in shops and have done hundreds of sets of carbs, with maybe 5 sets of VM29s.

You can bring the bike, or just the carbs and we can test them on my 79 GS1000.

I am not interested in money so much as documenting this simple process that seems to befuddle so many.
          Another example of what makes this site so great.
          I hope he takes you up on it Don-lo. I had a set that gave me headaches.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I may be able to help with your carbs.
            I am in Montgomery, IL former mechanic and cleaned my 79 GS850 carbs recently.
            sigpic

1980 GS1000G in the shop!

Past Bikes
            1979 GS850G
            1978 GS750
            1973 GT380

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Keep in mind that a proper carb "rebuild" will take the better part of a week, so wherever you go to help with your carbs, make sure it's close enough to go there for several days or just get comfortable with the idea of sending them off. I would offer to do them, too, but I am not at home and have no experience with the smoothbores, I don't know if they are any different from the smaller VM carbs.

The first day will be a couple hours of cleaning any excess gunk off the outside and taking the rack apart. Then you can take the first carb apart for internal inspection and put it in "the dip" and take the other carbs apart.

The second day is about another hour, which involves taking carb #1 out of "the dip", rinsing it off, spraying cleaner and air through all the passages and jets. When everything is out of the basket, put carb #2 in the dip, assemble carb #1, adjust the floats, set the carb aside.

The third day is like the second day, but with the next carb.

The fourth day is another repeat.

The fifth day will take an additional hour or two, you will take carb #4 out, clean, assemble and adjust it, then assemble the rack and do a bench sync.

If you still have time on the fifth day, you can get the carbs on the bike for further testing.

Ive been using TWO cans of Berrymans lately. Gets the job done in TWO days instead of 4 or 5. Rockin those carbs out...If anyone needs a set done...let me know In the next couple weeks or so, I should have a couple of sets done and ready for sale. A set of VM26s and a set of BS32s (whenever they get here...)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                Ive been using TWO cans of Berrymans lately.
                Show off. :

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Show off. :

Hey, ive gotten pretty quick at dismantling these things...provided of course I dont have to fight some screws or pilot jets.

Comment

My hangover **** could probably strip carbs faster than the stuff we can get these days

Comment

oops. Hangover urine

Comment

Working...
                      X