Replacing Handlebars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Handlebars

I have a new handelbar to put on my 81 GS650G. I am new to doing my own work on the bike. Is it hard to do? I have the Clymers book, but it just show how to replace the bar not the controls. Any help would be great!!

Brian

Easy job. Remove the left grip and your mirrors. Loosen the switches, throttle, and the clutch & brake levers. Take off the two caps that hold your bars down (about 3 inches apart at center of bars). Be carefull when you remove them as the bars are going to want to pivot down. Now remove all your controls from the old bars and put them on the new ones. The only problem (slight) that you may run into is that the switches may have a locator tab that fits into a hole in the bars, you can either drill the hole in the new ones or remove the tab. Mount the new bars semi-loose and get on the bike and get everything where you want it. Tighten everything down and thats it.

Comment

if you have a control that wont come off completely, but you can losen it up, slide all of the components off in one direction. i couldn't get my left grip off without heating it up alot, so i took the throttle cable part off, then slide the handle bars out the left side.

~Adam

Comment

Thanks!!! I have my job for the weekend!!!!

Comment

weekend...nah. it'll take you 30 minutes tops. i did two bikes in an hour.

~Adam

Comment

You can work some liquid hand cleaner under that left grip with a screwdriver, it'll come right off. Be sure to protect the tank with a blanket or something.

Comment

where did you get the new handlebars? I am looking to replace mine and don't know the best place and/or the sizes to get.

Comment

When I bought the bike, the seller had an extra set that he gave me.

Comment

I got the new bars on, Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!

Comment

isnt it good when things come together

Originally posted by briang1
                    I got the new bars on, Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X