Airbox repair question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox repair question

I am almost done rebuilding my airbox but I have a question.

One of my side plate rubber gaskets was totally missing. I know in the tutorial it suggests the weather stripping and I used that for inside the box to seal the place where you insert the filter.

I read in some of the threads that folks used foam to replace the side cover gasket.

What type of foam has been used? I realize you just need to make it air tight and seal the top compartment from the bottom one. I am just looking for suggestions about what has worked for you if you have done this repair. I searched for something at Menards but didn't find anything suitable.

Thanks for your help!

Rick

Hi Mr. ryonker,

I just went to one of the "big box" stores and got a roll of regular weatherstripping. I applied it to the inside of the airbox side covers and to the top of the air filter cage. It was too wide so I had to trim it before using (1/4 inch works best). And I have to replace it periodically, no biggie. Also check out Mr. Roostabunny's fixup.

Airbox Sealing
    (by Mr. Roostabunny)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks Basscliff!

I went ahead and got weather stripping slightly wider than the tutorial recommends and stuck it to the inside of the airbox cover. I ran a cross piece where the two compartments separate. Looks like it pretty much seals everything and like you said, it's cheap enough to replace if it starts to get to mushy or peels off. I guess the true test will be to put it on and try it.

Rick

Comment

Here's a picture

I took a picture of what I did. This wider tape really sticks well to the inside of the airbox lid. It's actually pretty hard to pull off.

Rick

Comment

Another pic

Here is the weather stripping I used. I purchased it at menards. I tried the slightly narrower Ace hardware version and I couldn't get it to stick very well. The width on this one is about the same as the track where the original foam was.

Comment

And another pic

Here is the packaging if that might help someone.

Comment

Nice work! Thanks for posting pictures.

That ain't gonna leak.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I just replaced the airbox seals on an '82 850G (with K&N filter). They were replaced 4 years ago, but the engine was starting to bog down occasionally (sometimes even running on 2 cylinders) so it was time to do it again. I learned 2 things this time around. First, some of those squishy black tapes you get at the hardware store are better than others. Second, some synthetic brake caliper grease (my new best friend), put lightly on top of the air filter seal, makes that filter install like a champ.

Air Filter Seal Material - 1/4" X 3/4" seals seem to work best on the air filter, where it jams up against the rectangular inlet. I found that anything with "rubber" in the seal description is better than just "foam", as in cheap plastic-based foam. The airbox is dealing with an environment that includes oil and gas, and both of those eat up plastic foam.

The first thing I tried was 1/4" X 3/4" Ace open seal rubber tape. It may work in a pinch, but the adhesive tended to separate from the rubber seal itself, which means you have the 2" end pieces of the rectangle sliding off and ruining the whole project. A better alternative I found here in the Midwest was from Menards (like Home Depot), made by RCR Dennis. The seal was a little softer, which is good, but more important, the adhesive held on much better. The full product description is RCR Dennis Comfort Seal Closed Cell Sponge Tape 1/4" X 3/4", SKU 0 7984300346 2. If it matters, it's actually made in Canada.

Side Cover Seal Material - 3/8" X 3/4" seals seem to work the best if the material is soft rubber, althought the 1/4" stuff would probably work too. For the side cover seals, you don't have to slide it across a piece of metal to install it (like the air filter), you just screw the cover down, so the adhesive doesn't have the same stresses as the air filter. For this seal, I went with RCR Dennis Comfort Seal Super Firm Sponge-Rubber Tape 3/8" X 3/4", SKU 0 7984300348 6. Note NEITHER of the products above say "foam" - instead, look for "rubber" in the description.

My New Best Friend - Synthetic Brake Caliper Grease. Remember how I said you have to slide the air filter seal over metal to jam it up against the air inlet? Rubber seals naturally stick against metal, so put a little of my BFF on top of the filter seal, and the whole thing slides in like a charm. This is NOT cheap lithium grease, which is petroleum based and melts both rubber AND plastic. Plan on paying $7 or so for a 2.5 ounce tube, but it's worth it. You can also use it on your brake caliper posts, which you shold have been doing anyway! (Another long story, look up the thread) The product I found locally is CRC Synthetic Brake Caliper Grease, SKU 0 7825405351 6.

Comment

I'm chiming in a little late, but I'm currently redoing my box too. Great info here. I just picked up an '82 GS850G, identical to the bike that roostabunny did his airbox tutorial on. Regarding the boots, he mentions to order two right hand (Part no# 13881-45030) boots and two left hand (Part No. 13882-45030). But the four super-hardened boots that I practically had to chisle out of the box all had the same part number 13881-45030 (right hands). Are these part numbers actually different? Or can you swap between lefts and rights?

Comment

There are no right and left ones. It's just one part (4 of the same) The only thing to remember is that there is a top and bottom, designated by a little dot that is raised on the boot.

Rick

Comment

Thanks Rick, I'll be ordering soon and was kind of perplexed by the mixmatch in info.
                      By the way you are approaching post #666

Comment

Is this what you are looking for? One of them is missing a section and they definitely look like a left and a right.

[IMG][/IMG]

I just rinsed them in water to get the dust off.

Eric
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2009, 02:02 AM.

Comment

airbox repair question

I just ordered airbox rubbers for my 80 gs850 and there is a difference between models. The 'T' model uses two left and two right rubbers and the 'X' model uses all the same four rubbers. I checked the old rubbers on my bike and sure enough there was a little 'L' on the top of the rubber on the left side. But I can't see any difference in the airbox for either model so maybe another member has some more info.

Comment

67Fire,
                            I'm referring to the rounds boots that connect to the carbs. Link
                            Then he posts a picture of the new boots which clearly show 2 lefts and 2 rights. Link
                            But all the boots that I pulled out of mine read 13881, signifying rights.
                            A PO may have overlooked the difference in part numbers, god knows he overlooked a bunch of other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                            X