How does it effect fork damping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does it effect fork damping

I just now realized that when I replaced my seals and put new fluid in, I did not have the forks compressed. They were extended. The front does seem a little harsh. Don't tell me I have to dump the fluid, and redo it!!!

You have to dump fluid and redo it.

Save the fluid in a clean container and reuse it.

Comment

Depends on how much fluid you put in. If you measured the amount per the service manual and dumped it in, there is no worry. If you filled the tubes and measured the height, the forks must be compressed or you will put in way too much oil.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Depends on how much fluid you put in. If you measured the amount per the service manual and dumped it in, there is no worry. If you filled the tubes and measured the height, the forks must be compressed or you will put in way too much oil.
        Thats what I did, measured the amount per service manual. Thanks.

Comment

The key thing is to get the level in each fork the same, rather than the volume. The manual tells you how to measure it (remove the springs, compress the tubes). No need to dump what you've got in there, just add some more or suck some out using a tube.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Oops. Time for more coffee here.

Comment

If you used the right amount of oil and it seems hard use a lighter oil.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If you measured by height then you have to dump the fluid and redo. The forks have to be compressed (with the springs removed) to measure by height. If you measured by volume, you still have to pump the fork a few times to bleed out the trapped air so you really can't fill the forks with them extended, when done proper the forks are compressed at some point.

Comment

If you installed no MATTER how, all you need to do is remove the springs, compress the tube & set the height. You DON'T have to pour out what's in the forks now! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    If you installed no MATTER how, all you need to do is remove the springs, compress the tube & set the height. You DON'T have to pour out what's in the forks now! Ray.
                    Don't forget you have to remove the forks or otherwise get them vertical and then use a suction device to suck up the extra oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
                      Don't forget you have to remove the forks or otherwise get them vertical and then use a suction device to suck up the extra oil.
                      No you don't. Just slurp out the excess oil from a point halfway between the back and the front.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                      X