No oil pressure after overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No oil pressure after overhaul

Ive recently aquired a GS 1000,chain driven one,but there is a little problem that came with it: The previous owner had the engine overhauled and rebored,but afterwards there was no oil pressure.I started the engine without the pressure switch to see if any oil came out,but there was none.The engine seems to run fine,except when revs dropped too low,as i turned the choke off,(needless to say it isnt very wise to run an engine with no oil pressure until its hot..)there was a knocking sound.Ive heard this sound before,it often occurs on my 550 and on many other motorcycles at too low rpm when cold,but the noise isnt nearly as sharp.Over abt 1000-1500 rpms it runs fine and smooth without any knocking,but there are small detonations in the exhaust.Maybe the power filters and supertrapp cans have something to do with this,as well as no choke at cold engine.But the sound made me think of sparks from oil-starved piston rings igniting unburnt fuel in the exhaust...What do you think?

Arve

What I think is quit running it until you fix the oil pressure.
    It's a simple system, figure out why it's not working.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What I think is quit running it until you fix the oil pressure
      +1 on that. It is pretty funny that this even requires a response.

Comment

Like they said, don't take a chance on ruining a head. I'd think get a guage hooked up to see there is no pressure, they don't call those lights idiot lights for nothing. Those bikes run very low oil pressure 4 or 5 psi I think. Just my opinion
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

If oil doesn't come out with the switch removed, he has a problem.

Comment

no oil pressure

do a compression test . I would start there to see if the rings are bad. If not u may have a bad oil pump.

Comment

How would bad rings cause no oil pressure?

Comment

Check the oil pump drive gear that comes off the clutch basket. I did an engine but forgot this part and got no pressure.
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Pull the clutch basket and see if the oil pump gear is mating with it to turn the pump. If it is replace the pump.
                  Not a hard job. Just do it.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Oil???? What is that for?

I had this black crap kept getting on the floor; Found out where it was coming from so I drained it all and threw it out.

Floor is spotless now.

I need to run and do a post now cause I keep hearing this knock knock knokc.

Comment

No oil pressure after rebuild? Just turn the engine over with the kick starter to check why there isnt any. :

Comment

I 2nd not running the engine with no oil pressure. I can't even contemplate how someone who wrenches or wants to wrench can do such a thing for longer than it takes to see the lack of oil pressure and hit the kill switch.

Running it without oil and seeing how it runs will only leave you with more to fix than before you "checked things out"

Comment

I found it. The gear on the pump had loosened from the axle and was rotating freely. The little seeger ring at the axle end had snapped off,the axle had sunk inwards and stuck the locking pin in the pump housing,which in turn had forced the gear outward,causing it to collide with the damper springs at the back of the clutch basket,so 4 of the 6 has been gnawed away... I made a new locking pin of a screw and welded the gear to the axle to cure the problem once and for all,if the pump goes bad again Ill buy a new one.But now I have a problem with my clutch basket: The two remaining damper springs will probably not keep up with the pressure when the going gets tough,so what do I do? It can probably be repaired,but I will need new springs as well as the plate that keeps them in place,and I must have a professional to rivet it all in place again. Probably just as well to get a used clutch basket right away. Or another option I came to think about: What if I just welded the primary gear directly to the retaining plate?There will be no dampening,but whats the difference? I welded the pump gear,and it looks like it will work out fine. What do you think?

Comment

How about u walk away from that engine and leave it to someone with mechanical sympathy. You have been given advice and havent taken it. 2nd thoughts go ahead and completely stuff that bike. See if i care
                            Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2009, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Hey,"sharpy",what advice have I not taken? The parts are shot anyway,so they will have to be replaced all the same if I cant help it with alittle redneck repairing. Besides,I like the thought: "I fixed the bike and it didnt cost me a dime." Any serious contributors here?

Comment

Working...
                              X