No announcement yet.

No oil pressure after overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I under stand the need to repair a bike on the cheap and get it running. Going the way that you want to make sure that the new pin works and doesn't fail.

Best suggestion would be to get a second hand pump and do the job properly to save problems later.

It would be a good idea to remove the sump and clean the strainer out also.

Comment

Those chain drive 1000 clutch baskets are known to develop play in the springs which leads to rattling. You can get a heavy duty backplate and spring kit for about $150 from various sources. It's a fairly simple matter to grind off the rivet heads and install the new parts before welding the assembly together. Try the advanced search function, you will turn up lots of info.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Did you check if the little o-ring that fits between the crankcase halves is there? If the PO left it out guess what, the service manuals makes a special point relating to installing it.
        1980 GS1000E

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          Oil???? What is that for?

I had this black crap kept getting on the floor; Found out where it was coming from so I drained it all and threw it out.

Floor is spotless now.

I need to run and do a post now cause I keep hearing this knock knock knokc.
          You funny guy
          I kill you last

See if you can find a used clutch basket on Ebay or do as Ed says to do with a new backing plate being riveted.
          Do you have oil pressure now and do you think it will hold up for any amount of time?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

There is a bike breaker nearby who primarily aims at big old jap bikes,so used parts should not be any problem. http://www.krangnesmotor.no/ The groove for the retaining ring on the pump axle is so small that it easily could fall off again,was my thought. With the gear welded to the axle the problem is solved once and for all,if the weld doesnt break. Which it shouldnt.Only down side is the pump can never be dismantled again,but why should it be necessary?If its broke,its broke and then you buy a new one.Simple as that.I dont know if there is any oil pressure now,as I havent installed the parts yet,waiting for your good advice on the clutch basket. Seriously,it must do the job to weld it,providing the welds dont break? And if they dont,not much can happen besides that my bike stops? About the o-ring in the crankase,I sincerely hope its there..but if its not,is it possible to install it with the engine still in the frame? Thanks for all good advices.
            Arve

Comment

nope, you've got to split the cases which means the engine comes out, remember to logically diagnose the problem start with the simple and cheap. You did remove the chrome plug on the main oil gallery behind the cylinder ( right side) to test for oil pressure. This engine only calls for 3 psi @ 3000 rpm warm. So leave the o-ring for last, good luck.
              1980 GS1000E

Comment

The oil is lifted from the sump via the pickup through the oil pump directly to the filter. So if you need to check oil flow, remove the oil filter and kick the motor over as SHARPY said to make sure oil flow is at the filter. If you get oil there then everything should be ok.
                I'd be a bit concerned about the rest of the motor being dry though. Personally I'd remove the valve cover, saturate the valve buckets, camshafts and anything else I can with oil. Remove spark plugs and give each cylinder a good dose of oil, etc. so the engine doesn't start up dry. We don't want 10,000 miles wear on the motor before we get it on the road for the first road test do we.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2009, 06:40 PM.

Comment

I'm with Suzuki Don, the oil filter is a good place to start. The system does go from the sump via the pump to the filter and then up to the pressure sending unit from there to the engine. Remove the cam cover and oil the cams also pull the plug and put a little oil in the cylinders. No kick starter so try spinning the engine for a few seconds with the electric starter. Should get oil flow real quick.
                  1980 GS1000E

Comment

This thread is why some of us get bikes that look ok on the outside, but when you go to work on them it's "WTF?"

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                      The oil is lifted from the sump via the pickup through the oil pump directly to the filter. So if you need to check oil flow, remove the oil filter and kick the motor over as SHARPY said to make sure oil flow is at the filter. If you get oil there then everything should be ok.
                      I'd be a bit concerned about the rest of the motor being dry though. Personally I'd remove the valve cover, saturate the valve buckets, camshafts and anything else I can with oil. Remove spark plugs and give each cylinder a good dose of oil, etc. so the engine doesn't start up dry. We don't want 10,000 miles wear on the motor before we get it on the road for the first road test do we.
                      Was being sarcastic with that kick starter coment on a 1000

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                        Was being sarcastic with that kick starter coment on a 1000
                        Sorry SHARPY, I'm not too familiar with the large motors.

Comment

Working...
                        X