No announcement yet.

Changing oil in final drive unit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was able to change mine today as well. Using some PVC pipe to make my wrench longer did the trick to loosen those tight bolts.

Just like BassCliff's experience documented on his web site, I too had a little oil spill out of the fill hole when I first removed it, indicating that it was a bit over filled. I put the new oil in there till it spilled out of the fill hole, then waited a few minutes until it was level with the fill hole and nothing was coming out anymore.

The new synthetic oil looks so much nicer than the gunk that came out of there.

- Brad

Comment

Originally posted by radbrad View Post
      I was able to change mine today as well. Using some PVC pipe to make my wrench longer did the trick to loosen those tight bolts.

Just like BassCliff's experience documented on his web site, I too had a little oil spill out of the fill hole when I first removed it, indicating that it was a bit over filled. I put the new oil in there till it spilled out of the fill hole, then waited a few minutes until it was level with the fill hole and nothing was coming out anymore.

The new synthetic oil looks so much nicer than the gunk that came out of there.

- Brad
      Nice work there Mr. radbrad! I appreciate you not getting offended at my feeble attempts at humor.

I change my gear oils (bevel/secondary gear case and find drive) at least once a year. If you're using synthetic gear oil then I think it's OK to go a little past the factory recommendation for the dino gear oils. The synthetic gear oils are designed to sit in the differentials of big rigs for 50,000 miles.

Hmmmm, this AMSOIL comparison may be interesting.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
      X