Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

am I too fat or my rear struts are too weak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

am I too fat or my rear struts are too weak?

Ladies and Gentlemen

I own a 1981 GS 750L. When I go for a ride with my wife (sitting in the bacK), and hit a bump, the strut just simply bottoms out. I adjusted the strut on its stiffest setting, and still the same result can be observed. The strut itself doesn't show any leakeage, and you can hear the sucktion sound as I push down on it as I sit. I am 215 lbs, my wife 165 so that's a total of 380 lbs.

I saw 2 people riding one of these italian mopeds, and they didn't have a problem like I do. So what could be the problem, are my springs in the strut too weak, or I'm too fat for this bike?

After 28 yrs. The springs & shocks won't be near as firm as they once were.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I'd say you need some strut work. I'm 6'4" and run between 235- 280 depending on if I'm working out or time of year. I gave rides to large (over 250lbs) friends here and there on some pretty sh$tty roads and never had that problem on my old '82 850L. That bike had leaking original fork seals and original shocks or with 28k on 'em. YMMV.

Jim
      Last edited by Guest; 06-16-2009, 10:17 PM. Reason: duh

Comment

Attila, I also have a 1981 GS750L. I weigh in at about 240, and ride solo. My rear suspension was bottoming on moderate bumps, so I replaced the shocks and springs with Progressive units. It made a huge difference. They come in different spring rates, so if you go that route, you will need to decide what set will best suit your needs.

Comment

I don't ride 2 up, but I weight about 230lbs and the rear end bottoms every time I hit a bump. I'm probably going to get some progressive shocks w/HD springs. Hopefully this will make the bike handle better.

Comment

Thank you for your help, by the way, is there a website where I could take a look at these struts, and most importantly the price on them?

thank you again

Comment

So far, the best price I've found is from

I've never ordered from them before.

Comment

Get the dual HD springs.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

PowersportSuperstore.com has the 12-1204B shocks for 140.56 and the HD black springs 03-1368B for $56.62. UPS shipping runs about $15.

Comment

Thats a good price, well worth the cost. Their are cheaper shocks, under $100 but you get what you pay for

Comment

They're all lying, you've just been eating too many jelly donuts.

Comment

Working...
                      X