Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 gs550es spark plugs???

Can anyone tell me what spark plugs I should use on my 83gs550es
    My manual says use a d9ea for US models and DR8Es for UK...why are they different??

What plugs did you pull off? Shouldn't you get the same?

Comment

Originally posted by reem98 View Post
      My manual says use a d9ea for US models and DR8Es for UK...
      Where do you live?

Get that plug.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This has been done to death, but over and over again the conclusion is that the original Suzuki-recommended NGK plugs are the best choice.

No need for exotic metals and electrode shapes. In the best case super Turdonium Master Blaster Rocket plugs make no difference other than high cost, in most cases they're expensive yet low-quality crap.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

My manual says use a d9ea for US models and DR8Es for UK...why are they different??
          Yep, for US models it's D9EA and that's what I used here:

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

As for why they're different...well, different bike, different plugs.

Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Castle550 View Post
            Bad idea. I was just reading a thread yesterday in which the PO had installed plugs that weren't even close to speck. Check the manual and follow the spec.

Comment

plugs are different for UK likely due to average ambient temps as well as jetting possibly being different

get the plugs called for by the manufacturere for your location

the dr plug is a resistor plug the d9 is not
              not sure but maybe local trransportation laws mandated them

Comment

The NGK D9EA is the standard plug, get that if you can. I had to go with the D8EA from my local Canadian Tire as that is all they had in stock. According to the Suzuki Service Manual (you did check out BassCliff's site didn't you?) the D9EA is the default. The D8EA has the exact same specs except the temperature range is hot. The service manual states that you should only use the D8EA if the carb/engine run perfectly yet you still see carbon/soot on the insulator.
                Chances are the DR8E is a hot plug for the warmer, more humid UK climate, but I am just guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by MelodicMetalGod View Post
                  Bad idea. I was just reading a thread yesterday in which the PO had installed plugs that weren't even close to speck. Check the manual and follow the spec.
                  +1 on that. I just pulled out four plugs from my 1983 GS550E that were a perfect match for my 2002 KLR 650 and NOT the GS550! The previous owner clearly did not have the same attention to detail I have.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                    +1 on that. I just pulled out four plugs from my 1983 GS550E that were a perfect match for my 2002 KLR 650 and NOT the GS550! The previous owner clearly did not have the same attention to detail I have.
                    And it was your thread the I was recalling. Good job on giving your newly acquired GS the TLC that is deserves!

Comment

Originally posted by Castle550 View Post
                      Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      ... over and over again the conclusion is that the original Suzuki-recommended NGK plugs are the best choice.
                      Originally posted by MelodicMetalGod View Post
                      Bad idea. I was just reading a thread yesterday in which the PO had installed plugs that weren't even close to speck.
                      Too many times, a "mechanic" will change the plugs because the bike is burning oil, so he will put in hotter plugs to keep them clean. I have seen cases where colder plugs were installed because the carbs were lean, so colder plugs were installed to get rid of the white color on the tips. Rather than apply a 'band-aid', fix the real problem, not the plugs.

Oh, the plugs are a passive device, they don't generate heat. A 'hotter' plug does not make the engine run hotter, and a 'colder' plug will not cool it down. What makes a plug 'hotter' or 'colder' is its ability to sink heat away from the tip. Just thought I would mention that because I have heard of guys putting in different temperature plugs to change the engine temperature.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                      X