New clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New clutch

Well over the weekend I installed a new clutch and springs. The new springs are a lot stronger but that isn;t the problem. I installed and now have the adjustment out as far as they can go and the cluch still isn;t fully disengauging. With the clutch in and in 1st gear it will pull the bike forward. Is it possible that the 20 year old cable just needs to be replaced? or is there something else I missed.

Plates soaked for 4 hours before installation

Have you checked the adjustment on the piece that pushes the rod under the small cover on the countershaft cover. Once you have the cable play you want, about 1/8th inch, you loosen the locknut an that adjuster and turn it iin until it lightly seats on the pushrod. Then back it off 1/4 turn and tighten the locknut. Did you get the extra plate kit?

Comment

forgot about that adjuster. Well I got 8 friction plate pack but there were 8 plates in the old clutch so I put in all of them.

Comment

Hopefully that helps. I think it's Barnett that sells the kits with the extra plate. I've heard of people having a little trouble with them until they've been run a while.

Comment

it's the springs that are causing your problem, I to have put in performance plates and springs and have the same problem, unfortunatly it doesnt get any better with time.
          I have consulted with a expert on theses older bikes and he said to get rid of the springs and stick with the stock springs.
          the heavyer performance springs are fine for hotrodded engines for drag racing but are nothing but trouble for stock street use, he said a heavyer clutch cable may help, the performance springs cause the stock cable to streach some and then the clutch wont disengage fully.

Comment

A thought. What about putting in two performance springs and two stock or would that throw the whole balance off because of the difference in lenght of the springs

Comment

you can spread them evenly and that will help.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                you can spread them evenly and that will help.
                The racing guys say it is ok to use HD springs in sets of 2

Comment

You can slightly shim the stock springs also. If you still have problems you need to check the stack hieght of the fiber plates versus the stockers. I know a lot of people like and use barnett but I never had anything but trouble with them...especially drag racing. They were also very hard on the clutch hub where the tabs on the plates are...they are more narrow and cut into the aluminum more. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X