My carb rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My carb rebuild

Well I just rebuilt the carbs on my 85 gs550L and put them on tonight. I got her started up and idled good for about 20 seconds then she jumped to about 4000 rpm. I tried the idle adjustment screw but it had no effect. I shut her off since it was after 11:00 and I didn't think the neighbors would be to happy about all the ruckus. I sure hope it is something simple like the idle cable being set too tight. Any other suggestions? I attached some before and after pictures. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

#2 picture

Here you can see how flat the intake gaskets were. I think this was causing most my problems.

Comment

#3 picture

after cleaned up

Comment

#4 picture

other side after

Comment

#5 picture

on bike after

Comment

#6 picture

On bike close up

Comment

Hi Mr. Tarsyn,

Nice work on your carbs!

With your symptoms, the first suspect is usually an intake air leak. You should also check the cables and linkages to make sure nothing is stuck or loose or moving around. Is there a slide sticking open perhaps?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Well I found the problem. It was the throttle cable adjusted just a little too tight. It runs really good now. I think it is a little rich though. To fix this do I adjust the air adjustment screws. They are set to 2.5 out from bottom right now. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X