Does fuel dissolve galvanized wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does fuel dissolve galvanized wire?

This winter I cleaned the inside of my tank out. The float that attaches to the arm of the fuel sending unit came off. So after searching here and finding a thread that suggested to reattach the float to the arm with wire. So i only had galvanized wire so i attached the float to the arm with this wire. Well, 800+ miles later the float came off the arm and i haven't found any wire, yet way. I am going to use stainless steel wire this time.

Does fuel dissolve galvanized wire over time? Should/will the stainless steel wire hold up? I thought i had read to use stainless steel the first time but....

Oh, btw, did anyone see Jesse James is a dead man last night? I was wondering what kind of bike they burnt?

Thanks!
    1979 GS850G
    2004 SV650N track bike
    2005 TT-R125 pit bike
    LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

i would think brass, copper or stainless would stand up admariably to gasoline. Galv steel as well, for a long period of time. there are still many galvanized gas recepticles around. my dad has one that has had gas of some sort in it for the last 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
      This winter I cleaned the inside of my tank out. The float that attaches to the arm of the fuel sending unit came off. So after searching here and finding a thread that suggested to reattach the float to the arm with wire. So i only had galvanized wire so i attached the float to the arm with this wire. Well, 800+ miles later the float came off the arm and i haven't found any wire, yet way. I am going to use stainless steel wire this time.

Does fuel dissolve galvanized wire over time? Should/will the stainless steel wire hold up? I thought i had read to use stainless steel the first time but....

Oh, btw, did anyone see Jesse James is a dead man last night? I was wondering what kind of bike they burnt?

Thanks!

No, fuel has no effect on steel, galvanized or not. Your problem is electrolysis which is a low level current flowing between two different metals that results in the least noble metal deteriorating. In your case, i will guess that you have a mild short between the connection to the sending unit in the tank and ground. I would replace those connections, making sure the new ones were insulated. Also, the gasket or isolators on the sending unit where it seals into the tank may be allowing electrical flow also. Check that.

Earl
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I'll check the connections. I've replaced one of the two connectors with an insulated spade. The other connection i replaced with a spade but it was not of the insulated type.

How would you check for current at the sending unit besides the two wires attaching to the unit? Just put our multimeter probes on the metal?
        1979 GS850G
        2004 SV650N track bike
        2005 TT-R125 pit bike
        LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Working...
        X