GS-1100GZ Compression problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS-1100GZ Compression problems

The other day I checked the compression of each of the cylinders of the 1982 GS1100G, they all were around 90. The 3 plugs looked good, light white but one was carboned up. My question is would a valve adjustment help increase my compression. I don't think the bike has had a vavle adjustment in a long while. The bike has 40,000 miles. I have been having problems starting it on colder mornings, where I would actually have to push start it to get it to go. A dealer told me that he has seen this problem with 4wheelers were you could kick start it but not start it electrically. He said the problem turned out to be a vavle adjustment.
    Any comments?

If the valves were too tight, keeping the valves from closing completely I would think that the valves would burn in short order and need replacing.

If they are too loose they shouldn't affect the compression but could cause hard starting and performance problems.

But I'm pretty new to these bikes and am basing this on experience with other bikes.

By the way I noticed you SIG and wondered if you belong to CMA.

I'm with Son Crest Riders out of Albuquerque.

Mike

Comment

Actually I was wrong on what I said about the valve being loose not having an effect on the compression. If the intake valves are not opening the valves fully that could have the effect of lowering the compression. I would think the valves would get pretty noisy before this happened but then as I said I am new to these engines.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for all the information. Looks like a winter or fall project. I have to rebuild the carbs and do the valves.
        And Yes I am a CMA member. Mid-Hudson Valley chapter, Ezekiel's Wheels.

Comment

Working...
        X