1980-81 gs1100 gauges 140 mph ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980-81 gs1100 gauges 140 mph ?

I thought there were 85 mph restrictions on the speedo for 80 to 82 gauges intended for US import.

I had seen (even bought one) a KPH that goes to 240 I think which is around 150 mph.

The other day I noticed this on fleabay (ebay pic warning) and was pleasantly surprised.

Am I dreaming or do we know of 140 MPH gauges for these lovely rectangular headlight machines ?

It could have been a British bike, they still use miles and maybe a bike could have been ordered with MPH gauges. The 85 MPH limit on gauges was one of the dumbest ideas ever mandated.

Could a KPH speedo be rebuilt with a MPH face? There was someone on the GSR selling gauge faces in white, perhaps a MPH version could be made for the KPH set.

What is interesting is the 55 is different on those gauges, that seems to suggest the bike was intended for US importation since highlighting the federally mandated maximum rate of travel from sea to sea was ANOTHER law.

Those gauges may be a bit rare, as they seem to comply with one legal requirement but not another as far as display goes.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I have been told that Zook often geared up for next years model in mid previous year (ex. an 82 manufacture date is often seen with 83 model year parts) Is is POSSIBLE that these gauges were off of an EARLY 80 model year run, actually built in MID 79 before the law went into effect???

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        I have been told that Zook often geared up for next years model in mid previous year (ex. an 82 manufacture date is often seen with 83 model year parts) Is is POSSIBLE that these gauges were off of an EARLY 80 model year run, actually built in MID 79 before the law went into effect???
        That is what I was thinking. They have to know far in advance what the deal is because these companies really just assembled parts made all over, not unlike today. You can't just change the gauges in a week, the process could have taken months. Either way, I'd say they are a unique (some would say rare) set of gauges

My 650 has the headlight off switch, no gas gauge, and chrome footpeg mounts instead of aluminum. Also the wheels are different. In mid 81 they changed these features so that early 81 and late 81 bikes can be very different The wiring harness changed for the gas tank sending unit and the petcock was relocated on the tank too.

I would grab these gauges, even if you don't really need them. As the years go by they will be worth a lot more.

Comment

They are bought and paid for ..

I had just never seen anything other than 85 mph in this gauge style (used only 80 and 81 afaik) except the metric ones.

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
          That is what I was thinking. They have to know far in advance what the deal is because these companies really just assembled parts made all over, not unlike today. You can't just change the gauges in a week, the process could have taken months. Either way, I'd say they are a unique (some would say rare) set of gauges

My 650 has the headlight off switch, no gas gauge, and chrome footpeg mounts instead of aluminum. Also the wheels are different. In mid 81 they changed these features so that early 81 and late 81 bikes can be very different The wiring harness changed for the gas tank sending unit and the petcock was relocated on the tank too.

I would grab these gauges, even if you don't really need them. As the years go by they will be worth a lot more.

Comment

I had given that some thought and believe that yes they could.

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
            It could have been a British bike, they still use miles and maybe a bike could have been ordered with MPH gauges. The 85 MPH limit on gauges was one of the dumbest ideas ever mandated.

Could a KPH speedo be rebuilt with a MPH face? There was someone on the GSR selling gauge faces in white, perhaps a MPH version could be made for the KPH set.

What is interesting is the 55 is different on those gauges, that seems to suggest the bike was intended for US importation since highlighting the federally mandated maximum rate of travel from sea to sea was ANOTHER law.

Those gauges may be a bit rare, as they seem to comply with one legal requirement but not another as far as display goes.

Comment

mriddle - How did the swap out go on the 140mph gages? Are they accurate?

I have been looking for a set of these for 3 years. I really thought they were just a myth. But, lo and behold, I just recently found some on ebayUK. The guy selling them lives in Wales and they came off a 1981 GS1100E just like my bike. I bought them and just received them yesterday. Mine look identical to the one in your picture but mine show both mph and kph. The guy sent me the sending unit from his wheel just in case the gearing is different.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Blackhawk ..

One of the few times I was really burned on Ebay

It was a gross example of a gauge set with a 140 mph extra face GLUED to the original 85 mph face ..

I presume that unless they had changed the mechanics of the dash with a KPH version, the reading would have been grossly off.

Anyway .. it was too ugly to even think about installing. .. it is for spare parts only.

Great to hear about your find .. please let me know if you come across another. .. also post up some photos when you get them on please

In the meanwhile, I have a really nice set of KPH ones that I have considered trying out.

Ride safe

Originally posted by blackhawk View Post
                mriddle - How did the swap out go on the 140mph gages? Are they accurate?

I have been looking for a set of these for 3 years. I really thought they were just a myth. But, lo and behold, I just recently found some on ebayUK. The guy selling them lives in Wales and they came off a 1981 GS1100E just like my bike. I bought them and just received them yesterday. Mine look identical to the one in your picture but mine show both mph and kph. The guy sent me the sending unit from his wheel just in case the gearing is different.

Comment

I remember back in the "85"mph days, you could buy a tiny gearset that connected to the speedometer, (or maybe the speedo drive on front wheel) & reduced the speedometer cable speed by 1/2. Thus your speedo would show 1/2 of your actual speed. The more I think about it, they may have had a stick-on cover to cover the orig. & make it register correctly. Too long ago, can't remember for sure.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
                    I thought there were 85 mph restrictions on the speedo for 80 to 82 gauges intended for US import.

I had seen (even bought one) a KPH that goes to 240 I think which is around 150 mph.

The other day I noticed this on fleabay (ebay pic warning) and was pleasantly surprised.

Am I dreaming or do we know of 140 MPH gauges for these lovely rectangular headlight machines ?

these are std on the uk 11's.... no wimpy/political correctness here m8

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
                      Welcome to the forum Blackhawk ..

One of the few times I was really burned on Ebay

It was a gross example of a gauge set with a 140 mph extra face GLUED to the original 85 mph face ..

I presume that unless they had changed the mechanics of the dash with a KPH version, the reading would have been grossly off.

Anyway .. it was too ugly to even think about installing. .. it is for spare parts only.

Great to hear about your find .. please let me know if you come across another. .. also post up some photos when you get them on please

In the meanwhile, I have a really nice set of KPH ones that I have considered trying out.

Ride safe
                      That is so wrong. Obviously it would not work right. did you address it with them or did they claim ignorance?

Comment

Here is a quick picture of the speedometer. It maybe a while before I get them put on my bike. The 140 speedometer really exists in Great Britain, not just a myth. Is it just me or does it not seem backward that the "mph" stamp is below the "km/h" on the gage face? Since the mph numbers are on the outside, it seems like the "mph" stamp should be on top. The 85 mph gages are the same way. Anyway...

I think the gages will clean up pretty nice, they actually look better in real life than in the picture. The inner orange case had a couple of the screw mounts broken, so I will probably keep my gage cluster and just swap the speedometer unit only.

85 mph on a 16 valve 1100cc motorcycle, what was the government thinking back in those days.

Comment

85 mph on a 16 valve 1100cc motorcycle, what was the government thinking back in those days.
                          The same thing they think today> we need to nanny people and control them.

If you can get only the clock out of the dash and add it to your speedo you can preserve the accumulated mileage while having the holy grail of dash boards.

It's a beautiful piece. I hope you got a good deal, if the seller knew how rare and desirable it was it would not be cheap.

The 85 mph clock serves as a good 2-3 shift indicator on the 1100.

Comment

suzuki GS's in the states only came with 85mph speedo's from ***1980-1982***
                            no 80 early model maybe could be...
                            no 82 late model maybe could be....
                            other countries don't count.
                            grey market don't count.
                            DMV typo's don't count.

oh,
                            i have an 81 1100E with a 140 speedo.
                            there was companies in the 80's offering to do this to your guages.
                            they would also recalibrate your gauges to make them match the new face.
                            so yes,
                            if you have a set of 140mph 80-82 guages then install them and see what you think...
                            they would have the new face glued on.

Comment

The inner orange case had a couple of the screw mounts broken, so I will probably keep my gage cluster and just swap the speedometer unit only.

Whichever one you don't use, I could sure use the plastic or glass lens for the tachometer, I dropped a muffler on mine the other day.
                              Congrats and finding that speedo, I will be searching Ebay.UK for one.
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X