No announcement yet.

1980-81 gs1100 gauges 140 mph ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is always testing to find out. I'd like to get my Yamaha speedo calibrated, it reads 10% under and it is annoying. I'm afraid of getting a speeding ticket if I forget it's pessimistic.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I called .. I emailed . .. zero response ..

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
      That is so wrong. Obviously it would not work right. did you address it with them or did they claim ignorance?

Comment

I just love the "check panel" on the lower right of these gages. I can't check my tail light right now, I am trying to reach 140 MPH!!! GM used these things thru the '90's on their cars. Good find on the gages.

Comment

Originally posted by blackhawk View Post
          Is it just me or does it not seem backward that the "mph" stamp is below the "km/h" on the gage face? Since the mph numbers are on the outside, it seems like the "mph" stamp should be on top. The 85 mph gages are the same way. Anyway...
          I see what you are saying, but if you look closer, you will see that the MPH numbers letters are both larger than the KPH numbers and letters.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have a gauge cluster I just took apart because I just needed the bulbs. the speedo and tach casings (orange plastic) were all siliconed or epoxyed because of cracks. Anyway, it came from a salvage yard and said 80 or 81 GS1000 and the speedo goes to 140mph. (I'll get pics tomorrow as tonight I'm too tired and sleepy).

I put the speedo on my GS850 the other day and it seemed to work fine.

It's not a US gauge set?

Comment

Originally posted by prpldude View Post
              I have a gauge cluster I just took apart because I just needed the bulbs. the speedo and tach casings (orange plastic) were all siliconed or epoxyed because of cracks. Anyway, it came from a salvage yard and said 80 or 81 GS1000 and the speedo goes to 140mph. (I'll get pics tomorrow as tonight I'm too tired and sleepy).

I put the speedo on my GS850 the other day and it seemed to work fine.

It's not a US gauge set?
              Will you sell it to me?
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

here are the pics. Can someone tell me what year these might be off of.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Will you sell it to me?
                  Looks to be a 1979 GS 850G speedo assembly as I have put one of these on my 1980 GS 1000G (there's nothing more repulsive than an 85MPH speedo) and the 140 speedo works fine in place of an 85MPH speedo) and I think 1983 or 4 is when they did away with the 85ers, I swapped out my 82 550MZ to and 83 GS 650 120 MPH speedo love it. I dont care if the bike could only do 70 MPH I still hate those 85 MPH speedo's

Comment

I like the looks of the 80 GS850 cluster but hate the 85mph limit. I pass faster then that most of the time.

I might try and use the higher MPH speedo if I can make it look Good w/o using the rest of the cluster.

But if anyone needs parts that are in good condition (tkent02 having first dibs) they can have them. The tach glass is in excellent condition same as the black casing and chrome back. not sure how the tach and speedo got all messed up

Shoot me a message if any1 wants any of the parts.

Comment

Working...
                    X