Headlight/Running light issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight/Running light issues

OK, First I want to thank everyone thats been helping me get my little devil of a bike running again It is running good now, charging system is doing well (found a few loose wires under the tank). Now I can move on to a less important problem then I have been dealing with, my headlights/running lights. They haven't been working since I got the bike. My turn signals and gauge lights work fine but I have no headlight or running lights. When I get home I'm going to double check all the terminations and such, but does anyone have a way to test the headlight and/or runninglights?

Well, the first and most obvious thing to do is to check your fuses. The top fuse in the panel is the one for lights. If the fuse is good, pull the headlight out of the bucket, use a test light, see if you have power at the headlight socket. If you have power, then you have a bad headlight. If you don't have power, check all the wiring and connectors from the headlight plug to the dimmer switch on the handlebar, then to the fuse panel.

Since it is headlight and running lights, I would guess fuse, because the wire splits just after the fuse to go to both sets of lights.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Get a wiring diagram if you don't have one, Basscliff has a bunch of them on his website. Trace the wires to the bucket and check connections again. I've done this too many times and the sad thing is i still don't remember what every wire goes to. You may have already tried this but get the voltmeter out and see if there is power to the headlight plug, check the fuse box. I know, basic stuff but thats my level of knowledge at this point.

I don't think the '80 has "running lights" unless you are refering to the headlight and taillight.

My 1 cent worth on this subject.
      1979 GS850G
      2004 SV650N track bike
      2005 TT-R125 pit bike
      LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Was there a fairing installed at some point? Sometimes people butcher the wires up in the headlight bucket connecting fairings up, and fail to reconnect properly.

Check the ground connection on the frame behind the headlight bucket where the steering tube is. Without good grounds the headlight might not work.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Not quite sure about the fairing, but the wires that are supposed to be in the Headlight bucket look pretty rugged, I'll post a picture of it when I get home tonight. Also, the headlight has been spliced into the existing wires. Not quite sure how to
          accurately describe it, so I guess another picture will have to do.

Comment

OK, so I tested the headlight last night and foound that I was getting 12 volts at the light. So, I will replace the headlight, any suggestions on a well fitting one? The one I have now, if I dont put it in just right, then I can push the top of it and the bottom will fall out. Maybe a conversion so I can just buy bulbs to replace? Oh and below is a pic of what I'm dealing with.

Comment

Evidently you don't have the correct light. It's obvious from the hack wiring job that it has been changed, but there should be three points of attachment. Some bikes had three screws around the edge, others had a hook at the top and two screws on the lower sides. Are there holes in the housing for those screws?

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Yes there are three holes around the outside, but I'm missing one screw. Its on my massive list of hardware to replace, lol. So any suggestion on somewhere to get a replacement? I'm going to stop by the cycle salvage store after work, but they might not have anything.

Comment

I'm not near a GS right now to check, but it might be a 5mm x .7mm screw or it might be a bit smaller at 4mm x whatever.

The 5mm bolts are hard to find until you look in the license plate fastener section.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                  X