No announcement yet.

Won't start when hot-coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning them in will lean them out, turning out will enrichen.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I have the same issue. I'm checking valves, petcock, coils, charging, and dirty wires.

Please post when you find the solution to your problem. I'll do the same.

Best Wishes on this.

Comment

Have you established if it is a spark or a fuel related problem?
        A lot of guessing going on here.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Test the resistance of the primary and secondary windings if you haven't already. If the secondary windings are bad, the bike would shut off when the coils get hot and it won't start back up until it cools down. I prefer Dyna coils over OEM.

Good luck.

Comment

Poor electrical contacts will heat up as they draw current and turn into resistors causing a voltage drop or complete loss of current. The ignitor will do the same thing, work fine when cold then stop working when hot. The coils get their ground from the mounting screws so if they are loose or the tabs they mount on are not clean the same thing could happen.
            Intermittent problems are the worse kind to solve. I would recheck your wire connections to eliminate them and as the other post suggested if it happens again that is the time to start checking the coils and such. Good luck.

Comment

Probably not your problem. carry a spare plug in pocket when it is hot shut it off just take a wire off of the outer plug in the engine use the spare on top of the engine and hit the starter button observe for visible blue spark if it is there and the bike won't start when you put your plug wire back on the options are

1. cam chain adjuster ( hot start problem )
              2. carbs too rich ( hot start problem )
              3. charging system ( extended load fatigue)

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
              After an hours ride on hot days (80º+) bike has to cool down (30 min.) before it will restart after being shut off for 5 min.
              I think it's the coils heating up from engine heat, should I replace them? OEM or aftermarket?
              Bill
              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
              X