Question from a newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question from a newbie

Hey guys, I'm new to riding and my GS, but I've got a question for you (tried searching and didn't find an answer). Currently the bike has a Vetter Wind Jammer Fairing. I want to remove it while I'm learning to ride so that if and when I dump the bike I won't kill the fairing.

Getting the fairing off will be no problem, its like 4 bolts and the whole thing including the lowers will come off. My problem comes with putting the stock Headlight tree back on the front. To do it I have to remove the upper tripple clamp. That's where my question comes in.

When I remove the tripple clamp, is there anything special I need to do? Do I need to worry about alignment of the fork tubes or anything like that? I guessing this is something I should do with the front wheel off the ground? Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tony

If they are like most Suzuki models you do hve to take the top triple off. Do prop something under the bike to get the weight off the wheel. It can lighly touch the ground. The top triple is the last to be tightened when assembling a front end so just pull it off and put it back.

Comment

I'm an idiot

Sorry folks, just realized I broke the cardinal rule when asking for help. Maybe I'd do better if I told you what bike I'm talking about. FYI - It's a 1978 GS1000. Geeze what a way to make a first impression.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
        If they are like most Suzuki models you do hve to take the top triple off. Do prop something under the bike to get the weight off the wheel. It can lighly touch the ground. The top triple is the last to be tightened when assembling a front end so just pull it off and put it back.
        So if I follow you correctly, as long as I get the weight off the front wheel, there isn't anything else I should have to contend with as far as lining up the clamp or such? If so, that's great news!

Comment

Working...
        X