Noisey crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noisey crank

Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like the crank noises got a little louder. It just seems more pronounced. I hope it is not a bad sign. Should I be concerned? The bike is running great now, and just love riding it. There is a wonderful visceral feeling I get when riding this bike. I still don't have front brakes, as the part I ordered went to my old address, so I have to wait a few more days.

youre riding it around with no front brakes??? How do you know its "crank noise?? you sure its not piston slap? Start clutch racket? Regular clutch racket?? Cam chain noise?? 8valve heads are pretty noisy, but if the carbs are balanced, and the valves are adjusted, they sound like sewing machines....

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      youre riding it around with no front brakes??? How do you know its "crank noise?? you sure its not piston slap? Start clutch racket? Regular clutch racket?? Cam chain noise?? 8valve heads are pretty noisy, but if the carbs are balanced, and the valves are adjusted, they sound like sewing machines....
      It's definitely not piston slap. It just sounds like it is coming from that part of the motor.

I am riding without front brakes for short jaunts. I know, I know, I really must stop.

Comment

Originally posted by slip View Post
        It's definitely not piston slap. It just sounds like it is coming from that part of the motor.

I am riding without front brakes for short jaunts. I know, I know, I really must stop.
        Not without front brakes you won't.

Comment

Make sure the carbs are synced.. Un balanced they can cause lots of noise from the engine. Does the noise change when the clutch is pulled ? Yes? inspect the clutch. No? Run it about 2K rpm if it sounds good just ride it
          Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2009, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
            Not without front brakes you won't.
            Yeah, I won't anymore. Really was taking chances in doing so. But, in working so hard to get this thing running so good for about a month, I couldn't resist taking her out a few times. No more. Part should be here Tuesday, and then I can put the caliper back together and install them.

The noise goes away when I rev it to 2k and beyond. I guess I'm ok. Heck, it has held up this long, I guess it is pretty robust.

Comment

definately check for a loose clutch. I just pulled the clutch cover off this GS1100E I bought because of a rattling while idleing. The clutch nut was about 2 turns from falling off. The only thing holding the clutch and nut on was the safety collar.

Comment

The crank is unlikely to go bad

They'll run for miles on little or no oil

More likely clutch hub nut or outer clutch basket, both common problems - does the sound go away when you pull in the clutch?
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbash 27 View Post
                  definately check for a loose clutch. I just pulled the clutch cover off this GS1100E I bought because of a rattling while idleing. The clutch nut was about 2 turns from falling off. The only thing holding the clutch and nut on was the safety collar.
                  Yeah, that's the sound, a rattling sound. Do I need to replace a gasket if I pull it????

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                    The crank is unlikely to go bad

They'll run for miles on little or no oil

More likely clutch hub nut or outer clutch basket, both common problems - does the sound go away when you pull in the clutch?
                    Big T, I'll check that out now.

Comment

Ok, here is a recording. Maybe I am making too much of it, but I swear it just sounds a little different than before.

Another video for your enjoyment. This is of the bike I had before this one. A 1991 XR250L. A fun little bike.

A short video of me on my XR250L dual sport bike riding a trail.
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2009, 09:40 PM.

Comment

It's not the clutch. I'll bet it is the starter, as every now and again, it won't engage.

Comment

Originally posted by slip View Post
                          Yeah, that's the sound, a rattling sound. Do I need to replace a gasket if I pull it????
                          not if you're INCREDIBLY lucky, best have one ready anyhoo
                          sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                          '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                          '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                          '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                          '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                          '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                          '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                          '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                          '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                          '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

The bearings went bad on the crankshaft on my 82 1100 when it was new and still under warenty. It can happen.

Comment

Working...
                            X