Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1982 650G Oil change: Secondary Drive Gear oil plug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fenixgoon View Post
    alright, i got a 21mm socket and it fits nicely. just to make sure i'm not going insane, the rotation to *loosen* the bolt is counter-clockwise? i've gotten it to turn a little bit but it does not want to move
    From right to left
    sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
    '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
    '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
    '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
    '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
    '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
    '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
    '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
    '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
    '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

alright, i got a 21mm socket and it fits nicely. just to make sure i'm not going insane, the rotation to *loosen* the bolt is counter-clockwise? i've gotten it to turn a little bit but it does not want to move
      If I were you I'd stop......get some PB Blaster and spray it down. Let it sit a half hour, spray it again, tap it lightly with the tool of you choice, spray again. You don't want to snap that off. It may be first time it's ever been off of there.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

victorious, but not unscathed

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
        If I were you I'd stop......get some PB Blaster and spray it down. Let it sit a half hour, spray it again, tap it lightly with the tool of you choice, spray again. You don't want to snap that off. It may be first time it's ever been off of there.
        so i sprayed some lube on, turned it, sprayed a little more on...

good news: i managed to get the bolt off

bad news: i broke almost every thread. <edit>the bolt may have been cross-threaded, explaining why i broke it </edit> i wish i had known in advance

good news: upon screwing the bolt back in (what few threads were unharmed), i got a decent torque and no oil leak after pouring in the new oil.

*crosses fingers* pray for me GSR
        Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2009, 04:33 PM.

Comment

good news: upon screwing the bolt back in (what few threads were unharmed), i got a decent torque and no oil leak after pouring in the new oil.

*crosses fingers* pray for me GSR
          Nice work Mr. Fenixgoon. I haven't read the 650 manual, but you'd think they would mention something like that reverse thread bolt. Anyway, does that bolt take a crush washer? Since it doesn't require a lot of torque perhaps a rubber washer or teflon washer will guard against leaks? Keep an eye on that bolt and your oil level.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

nevermind, posted without thinking :P
            Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2009, 04:14 PM.

Comment

nevermind, posted without thinking :P
              No problem. I do that all the time.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Reverse thread bolt? First time I've seen that. My GS650 has normal threads on both drain bolts.
                GS1000G

Comment

Originally posted by waltfen View Post
                  Reverse thread bolt? First time I've seen that. My GS650 has normal threads on both drain bolts.
                  after talking to my dad, it sounds like the bolt was actually cross-threaded. if the bolt were on perfectly, i'd shear off the head before i damaged the threads.

i'll edit my above post accordingly.

Comment

those drain plugs do have crushable washers on them. do you have an owners manual for your bike? i got an extra manual for a 1981 gs650g which would probably be the same as yours. If you want it send me a pm with your address and I can send it to you free of charge

Comment

Working...
                    X