Ran into some problems today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ran into some problems today

I installed my clip-on handle bars today with little luck. the top triple tree pinch bolts for the struts are in he way of the angle i want my adjustable clip-ons at. im thinking about grinding down the pinch bolt area to help clear. I might even try running the top clamp with out the pinch bolts but i dont know how safe that would be. anyone know of a triple tree top that would fit with the stock 37mm gs1100e struts that does not have pinch bolts or all the extra unessary angles, bolts and clamps?

also my current brake reservoir doesnt clear the clip on clamps.

i didnt want any teaser pics of my bike on the internet until i got my new exhaust sytem sorted out but here she is anyways, about a months work since i got her in stock form

Nice photos!

Can't offer any suggestions for this problem other than to say do NOT remove the upper triple clamp pinch bolts. Oh, and for heavens sakes, change out those old rotted rubber brake lines.

Good luck.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

+1 on the brake lines...ewww

Comment

Welll if it werent the leading axle model, i would suggest actually bringing the clip ons up OVER the top clamp by bringing the forks up thru the trees a bit...but on that bike you'd drag bottom in a hurry. I dont know of any of the rack fixes for that...Might look into a machine shop to do a one off top clamp for you, but that might be hella expensive too... Why not go with Clubman bars?? You'll get the same effect, without the hastle..

Comment

im going to try the clip-ons above the triple tree tomorrow. surprisingly i forgot about that option, those were my intentions when i went to clip ons. it might just work out, i want to lower the bike all around, the back side just got lowered with my new shocks about two inches.

thanks for the lovely comments on my brake lines im going to go with stainless steel lines after i get my new brake resivior setup.

Comment

i went with clip-ons instead of handle bars becauce i like how they clean un the look and have a more modern feel to them

Comment

Tight rig man

Comment

you cound, put a spacer between the clip-on and its mount. about 1/4 is what you need to swing those where you want them..... or you can, take out the pinch bolts, drill thru one half of the top tree with a 3/8 drill bit and run a 3/8 tap thru the other and go with a 3/8 scoket head screw like the new mounts have. i am just guessing about the size but i should be right. home depot sells everything needed even the stainless screws. they also carry spacers too. hope this helps ya! cliff

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS1000custom View Post
                  you cound, put a spacer between the clip-on and its mount. about 1/4 is what you need to swing those where you want them..... or you can, take out the pinch bolts, drill thru one half of the top tree with a 3/8 drill bit and run a 3/8 tap thru the other and go with a 3/8 scoket head screw like the new mounts have. i am just guessing about the size but i should be right. home depot sells everything needed even the stainless screws. they also carry spacers too. hope this helps ya! cliff
                  good idea on the spacer, although that might be a little difficult for me, its a taper where the clip-on pivots so that might not work without a spacer that has a acceptable taper angle.

I think i can image what your saying with taping. drill out the triple tree and use a bolt running through the tripple tree to pinch the strut? that might be a better idea although i have never tapped and died and i dont know if i want to try my first go on this.

Comment

its easy as what. take the pinch bolt out and tell me what size the thru hole is and i will figure out exactly what size screw/tap you need and walk you thru it. believe me, its really easy. look at any busa fork trees and youll get the picture real quick, cliff

Comment

my concern is that if i take out the original pinch bolt the triple tree wont have all its strength since there is nothing to bridge the gap between where the pinch bolt was. anyone believe this might be a problem?

Comment

Working...
                      X