Stuck Teflon Ring on fork inner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck Teflon Ring on fork inner

Have pulled the forks apart for my first go at fork seal change (extreme mechanical novice)

After removing the damping bolt and rod I tried to separate the inner from the lower leg. It wouldn't come without a fight, and when it finally gave, the oil seal and both teflon sliders popped out all together, with the lower slider stuck fast to the lower fork inner.

I gather it wasn't supposed to come out as I can't get the innner back into the lower leg, as the teflon ring won't go past the new oil seal.

SO I gather I need to get the teflon ring off the bottom of the inner, and put it inside the fork leg before I can reassemble them? My problem is that the teflon ring is really stuck good on the bottom of both fork inners, and I'm not sure how to go about getting it off without damaging it?

I'll also have to get the new fork seal out so I can get the ring back in the fork leg. Is it possibale to get it out withour damaging it to reuse or will I have to buy another new set?

Please help ASAP as I'm trying to do this now to get on the road for tomorrow!

cheers

Check out Cliffs website for Fork Seal Replacement.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I'm currently following that one, but didn't notice that the teflon slider had stayed in the fork leg when they were separated. My problem is that it is stuck solid to the lower fork slider and won't budge

I know they are quite delicate and not to be scratched, and I don't want to have to buy new ones. I need to know a safe way to get it off the fork slider without damaging it.

Comment

So, you're saying he teflon ring on the lower portion of the forks (the top ring) didn't come out with when the fork slider was pulled out? Is the teflon ring on the slider still in place?

I'm not sure, but if the teflon ring you describe is still in place it seems as if it's worn out - just a guess, as they fit pretty tight to the slider and I don't see how a good one will let everything past it.

Comment

its not the one that sits under the oil seal. Its the one that sits inside at the the bottom of the lower leg.

This was what was stopping me separating the slider from the fork leg (I presume) What is supposed to come out whn you separate both tubes???

WHen I tried to put the fork slider back into the fork leg, the tefflon ring stuck to the bottom is stopping it going past the oil seal (the ring is too big for the hole in the seal)

I'm confused

Comment

The ring that is stuck on the bottom of the slider didn't actually get past the one under the oil seal - it forced everything ahead of it out of the fork leg - other teflon ring, oil seal and the washer it sits in.

Comment

Sorted now - I think

Comment

the lower teflon ring on the inner fork tube has a little vertical groove stick a small flat head screw driver in there and pry the groove apart and slide the telfon bushing off at the sametime.

you should replace all teflon bits with new ones if you are redoing your seals and oil.

to install. install lower teflon bushing first, next slide upper teflon bushing over top of fork (assuming fork is removed) next add washer (i think) then take some cling wrap plastic place it over the top of the fork tube and add a little grease and slide your seal over that. the plastic helps help the metal edge from cutting the seal. then take the whole inner tube with everthing installed and drop it into the lower tube. you then will use your old seal and some pvc to drive all that stuff into it's seat. bolt up fill with oil and ride.
                78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x
                10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Ok - I tried to follow the method on BassCliffs site, separating the fork leg and slider, installing the upper teflon ring, washer, oil seal and circlip - then tried to insert the fork slider back in.

Thats where I ran into problems. I have since discovered from advice and the factory manual that the slider should be inserted first (with lower teflon ring fitted) and the upper ring, washer and seal slid down and taped home, as you suggest First Timer So I've had to try and remove the snap ring, new oil seal, washer and upper teflon ring that I've installed in the lower leg, so that I can do it the correct way.

I managed to get the new oil seal back out without damage, but before I put that in, I tapped home the upper teflon ring into its recess and its a tight fit. Now I can't get the damn thing out no matter what I try!!! The fork slider won't go back in until I remove this first, THEN slide it down over the top and seat it so its in the correct order.

So, can anyone help with a method to remove this stuck UPPER teflon ring. You can't really fit anything into the split in it because of the angle, and I'm worried about damaging the inner fork leg surface.

Any suggestions please???? AAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Comment

usally you use the inner tube and lower clip as a slide hammer and pull everything out that way. You can't since you never installed the lower clip. You may have to damage the upper collar and just get new ones to replace it with using my method. the upper clip is also grooved, take a small flat screw driver and try to get it behind the upper tef collar and the fork tube by the groove in the tef collar. then just pry the collar so the collar groove edge is pushed toward the center of the tube. take a needle nose pliers grab on the the collar edge and yank, that should remove the tef collar.

becarefully not to mar up the aluminum surface of the outter fork tube.
                    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                    82 Kat 1000 Project
                    05 CRF450x
                    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Thanks First Timer - will give that a go I'm a bit clumsy though so am worried about damaging the inner leg surface - will just take my time

Comment

When assembling, the top teflon bushing goes in after you insert the stanchion. It's driven in with your seal driver. Then you install the oil seal.

Comment

Working...
                        X