Not GS related.....Axle bolt on my VW Passat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not GS related.....Axle bolt on my VW Passat

I need to replace an axle on my car( VW passat)So Im getting set up for the job.....I start to loosen the lugs, pop the center cap off to loosen the axle bolt and I almost Puked.................

Mind you this bolt has a hole in the middle for a big allen key

It was like a a rusted ear of cauliflower ....So I figure oh well I will wire brush it or dremel it clean.....

I hit it with Pb blaster and start knocking out the bigger stuff with a pick.....

Well I got it cleaned and it looks like at some point in this vehicles history someone tried to get this bolt off and stripped it because it was completly round in the middle

So any ideas???????? Im thinking of having a bit welded to the bolt and use that???? What do you guys think?????????Any and all input is appeciated.. If this doesnt belong here please direct me to the right place.....

For your viewing pleasure

Im thinkin you're probably on the right track. If you have access to a welder, weld a little stud with a good sized bolt on the end in there. Then use the bolt to back it out of there. other than that, the only thing I can think of is running a big arse left hand drill bit in it with a big extractor maybe?? I dunno if that would do it or not... Worst case scenario, you have to take it to a shop and JUST have them replace the bolt, nothing more..

Comment

if you are replacing the axle anyway just cut the end off it,
      or weld a big jesus nut on there, like inch and a quarter or something,
      GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Yeah you're going to have to replace it anyway so I'd just cut/grind the head right off. The threaded body should come out easy once you get the rotor off. You might want to quench the rotor and nut fairly often? I'd be a little worried about heat on the bearings if you use a big grinder. A little.. keep it in mind anyway. You'll get some surface rust on the rotor but it looks like you've got some PB Blaster on there already.

/\/\ac

Comment

if that is what holds the axle in... GRIND IT OFF or DRILL IT as you would the head of a rivet

Comment

and while it is off, check the condition of the bearing. If you have 100K or better, damn the torpedoes and grind, heat and beat. I'm a neub to motorcycles, but have tinkered, prodded and strong armed my way to mechanical victory on countless autos

Comment

Just for the record, I have the new axle and bolt........Im gonna try and weld a 17mm triple square bit on there and have at it with a breaker bar.....( I will pick up a new bearing just incase).....I want to avoid grinding as the rotors are only 2 months old..I have a feeling I wil make a mess with a grinder.......My welding skills are not so bad.....

Comment

Why not remove the brake calaper and remove the rotor for better access. All that rust sucks. I did the front suspension on my van, Had no torch, used a sawsall

Comment

Good luck, i dont evny you... I just got rid of my VW passat, biggest pain in the ass vehicle I have ever worked on.

Removing the caliper is a nightmare, stupid star shaped torque bolts that never want to come off, you will just get deeper and deeper in the more you try to fix.

Then again everything under mine was rusted tight so with the crappy bolt designs lead to anything you try to remove stripping.

Comment

I don't know what year your Passa is but i had the same problem with my '01 Jetta. Turns out I needed a 12-point, 30mm socket for the nut and a breaker bar but it did come off.

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
                      Good luck, i dont evny you... I just got rid of my VW passat, biggest pain in the ass vehicle I have ever worked on.

Removing the caliper is a nightmare, stupid star shaped torque bolts that never want to come off, you will just get deeper and deeper in the more you try to fix.

Then again everything under mine was rusted tight so with the crappy bolt designs lead to anything you try to remove stripping.
                      WOW no love for the passat LOL......Ive had it for 6 years and have done 2 sets of breaks.......The timing belt, and this axle........Knock on wood she hasnt given me any grief at all really.....( I do all my own maintenance on the car.....

The timing belt was a pain becasue you have to take the whole nose of the car off ...but other then that it was a breeze.....

So in 6 years I have slips totaling $965......which equates to about $3.25 a week over the 6 years Ive owned it........Not to bad LOL.......I had a ford Probe GT that was a junker, that thing broke every 2 weeks LOL

Oh well luck of the draw I guess.......Any way just to up date the thread, I took an oversized bolt and bashed the head into the hole, then ran a fast bead with the Mig welder just for giggles......warmed it with the torch for a few seconds....4ft pry bar......and SHABAMMMMMMMMM all good LOL.......only took an hour to change out the axle after that...

Comment

Working...
                      X