WTF is up with today's carb cleaner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF is up with today's carb cleaner?

I used to rebuild carbs. Lots of them. That's been 15+ years. Used to get a 5 gallon tank for $20. You made SURE you didn't breath it and it would strip your SKIN in less than the time to wash it off. This backwash from the the top of a can of varnish they sell now requires an overnight soak. Thanks, EPA.

LOL...true, but at least it will work, eventually...

Comment

Oh, you only like that stuff because you hate mother earth. The EPA will save you from yourself.

If you really loved this planet you'd clean your carbs with only the purest mountain spring water, carried down by hand in a bucket made only from natural driftwood (without stepping on any bugs, lichens, or cute li'l bunnies the whole way) and then tune them up so your bike can run on the self-satisfaction you get from saving the planet. And farts (but mostly satisfaction).

Comment

Still won't get better MPG riding my 750 than in my Focus! LMFAO!

Comment

Go to any GM dealer, purchase their carb (choke) cleaner! it will knock your socks off and do the job perfectly!

Comment

I'd better do it quick! Ha Ha

Comment

Carb cleaner used to contain large amounts of 'trike' & now it doesnt due to pressure by the tree huggers so is less effective

Comment

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
                On the bike, you're not after miles per gallon, it's all about SMILES per gallon.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
                  Something's wrong with your bike.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I just went to my local chemical supply joint and they sold me a 2-litre tin of Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Cleans my carbie bits nicely. Smells good too. Although I have a suspicion that if you leave brass bits (eg. jets) in there for too long, it starts to eat them away!

Comment

I just went through this also. I used to buy a bucket of carb cleaner from NAPA and it would burn your eyes when you opened the can. My old stuff finally was shot so I went back to NAPA and bought the same exact part number bucket of cleaner and it is CRAP! You can't even smell it and it wont clean anything unless you leave it soaking for a day or more.
                      Thank you EPA.

Comment

California

You could gargle with the stuff they sell in California. I asked the guy in the auto parts store if it was any good and he said "Nope!". I picked up my latest stuff in Oregon.
                        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Best of the new stuff Ive found is the elcheapo Wal Mart brand, about a buck a can usually

Comment

Are any of the spray can carb or brake cleaners safe for the rubber inside our carbs? Not the diaphragm but the o-rings. I may have to do an emergency cleaning and I have enough tools to get the carbs off and apart but no dip, air compressor or parts cleaner.

This is the thread on the issue I'm having now:
                            This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Thanks,
                            /\/\ac

Comment

Originally posted by wkmpt View Post
                              Oh, you only like that stuff because you hate mother earth. The EPA will save you from yourself.

If you really loved this planet you'd clean your carbs with only the purest mountain spring water, carried down by hand in a bucket made only from natural driftwood (without stepping on any bugs, lichens, or cute li'l bunnies the whole way) and then tune them up so your bike can run on the self-satisfaction you get from saving the planet. And farts (but mostly satisfaction).
                              Nope, according to the tree huggers, you cannot start your bike, either. too much pollution!!

Comment

Working...
                              X