GS850G headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G headlight

Hello all, I have already used the 'search' to glean what info I could regarding my problem. It's not a big problem, but a nagging one. Here it is:

1982 GS850GZ. When I bought it it had a hideous Vetter fairing which I removed. I had a tough time finding a suitable bucket to replace the headlight but got one from an 81 (i think) GS. It uses an H4 55/60w bulb so I figured it to be ok for my bike, which it is. The problem is, wired currently (b/w ground top, white right, yellow left) the low beam is really dim and seems to use both elements. High beam is ok, much brighter, uses only one element, but still a bit disappointing. Plus, when I aim the HB properly, the low beam is way low. So I ride HB all the time now. I can only think that my 'HighBeam' is actually my LowBeam, and my HB asks for more power than is available to it. I tried switching the white/yellow wires, only to have the same problem in reverse: low beam bright and ok, HB dim and low. Should the High Beam use one or two of the elements? As it is now, the light is brighter when using only one. When two elements are on, it is very dim. I first assumed a ground problem, so I ran an auxilliary wire from the b/w headlight term. directly to the battery ground: no difference. It seems that no matter how the white / yellow wires are connected, I get the same result: either HB is bright and LB too dim, or vice versa. I have not been blowing fuses, and I checked for ground problems. Any advice?

James

Well, you still have a ground problem.

The ground wire goes to the LEFT terminal.
    The High beam wire (yellow) goes to the RIGHT terminal.
    The Low beam wire (white) goes to the TOP terminal.

The two beams use different filaments, which are offset just a bit, so they hit the reflector differently and throw a different beam. They should only operate one at a time, which will be fixed when you move that ground wire to the left terminal.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks, I will give it a go. I thought I had it right from looking at wiring diagrams, but perhaps not. Appreciate your fast advice.

James

Comment

Waddaya mean "fast"?

It took almost half an hour for me to see it.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Can't argue, I did have a ground problem. And OK, that was really SLOW man, what the heck!?! Especially for those who spend countless hours here...on the GS Rescouces!

Anyway, I was wrong, you were right ( I say that to my girlfriend alot..how does it make you feel?). The last time I tried that I blew fuses (the ground on left term., not the girlfriend comment..lol), so I thought I had the wires confused. But the ground may not have been propely hooked up at that point. It's all about the ground man.

Thanks again, you fixed my problem with a few key strokes, that is true power!!

In all seriousness I APPRECIATE IT!!

James

Come back any time you need a compliment!!

Comment

Working...
          X