Trany gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trany gears

I have a 1980 GS550L and would like to know if a set of trany gears from a 1980 GS550 will fit?
    Thanks in advance
    Ed

yeah they should all the 8v 550 are all the same minus the head. replacing a 1980 tranny with a 1980 tranny should work just fine.

you will have to split the cases btw, why do you think you need a new tranny? they are pretty stout.
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

May be a difference in gearing between the std & L model but it should work

Comment

the gearing is the same, only differance would be in rear sprocket size, download the 550 service manual, all gear ratios are the same for the 550.
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x

Comment

There is a lot of play when you let the clutch out to move the bike,and i have checked the ruber dampners in the rear wheel and they are tight.Also the drive sproket is tight on the shaft,and the play is inside the trany.I think the bike was used for drag racing as it would only get 25 MPG when i purchased it and i found the main jets had been drilled out.I replaced the jets and walla 50+ MPG.
          Ed

Comment

Have you checked the clutch hub and hub nut? These get loose. There will always be some slop in the tranny, I would not worry about the tranny unless your gears are grinding or popping out of gear under load or decel.

Replacing the transmission is a major undertaking i do not advise unless absolutely necessary.

I don’t think your 550 was drag raced to much if at all, it is a smaller bike most drag bike guys go for bigger sized stuff right out of the box.

Have you checked your chain? They stretch and will feel like there is a mile of slop in the tranny because of it.

How far from chicago are you? there are a bunch of friendly chicago guys around that would be willing to take a look at your bike. Just give a hollar out for their help.
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x

Comment

Thanks firsttimer,other than the play everything seem to be fine.I live west and south of Springfield.
              Ed

Comment

Working...
              X