Well, that didn't take long to go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, that didn't take long to go

My bike started making a rattling/clunking sound a day ago. And I just got the front brakes finally put back on, and was enjoying my ride immensely. After asking on here what it might be, I deduced that it was the infamous starter clutch. Ok, it's going bad, but I went out for a ride anyways. I went on the interstate for a short blast, and thought I heard something. I got off the exit, and pulled in for gas. After filling her up, I went to start the bike, and heard the infamous click. Uh oh, I said to myself. The dang starter clutch must have broke!!! I tried jump starting it a few times on a hill, but just couldn't get it going fast enough. So I called the son to come git me. He comes, and I said, maybe just maybe, with a 6'2" 19 yo, strong like bull, he just might be able to push it fast enough to start it. Sure enough, first try. Oh, and he tells me that the bike sounded kinda funny when I left to go for a ride. This is the second time he has had to come bail me out. The other time was the ignition fuse. I owe him a ride after all of this.

So I guess I gots to git one of these. Where can I get one, and how much do they cost. I guess I have to pull the fly wheel too. Any suggestions would be appreciated. One day I am going to be able to ride this bike for a few consectutive days.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2009, 10:44 PM. Reason: Not enough info

Most of the starter clutches are still available thru suzuki.
    Because I am boycotting Bike Bandit at the moment, I will send you here instead:

www.babbittsonline.com

Go to OEM parts, and search away. Their parts prices are cheaper anyway on the big stuff, but their small parts seem to have a minimum price of $2.65. Guess thats how they make up for it.

At any rate, their fiches are clearer, website IMO works better and they actually have LIVE people that you can TALK to on the phone. They also seem to work a little faster than BB.

You're probably going to end up spending about 140ish on the clutch pack (BTW, just buy a whole NEW pack, dont try to rebuild it. It doesnt work well) and then you'll likely need a rotorpuller. ZOok used a few different types, so you might call them or Z1 and ask em. That will prolly be another 20-40 bucks. BUT she'll work good as new... Oh, dont forget a stator cover gasket either...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      Most of the starter clutches are still available thru suzuki.
      Because I am boycotting Bike Bandit at the moment, I will send you here instead:

www.babbittsonline.com

Go to OEM parts, and search away. Their parts prices are cheaper anyway on the big stuff, but their small parts seem to have a minimum price of $2.65. Guess thats how they make up for it.

At any rate, their fiches are clearer, website IMO works better and they actually have LIVE people that you can TALK to on the phone. They also seem to work a little faster than BB.

You're probably going to end up spending about 140ish on the clutch pack (BTW, just buy a whole NEW pack, dont try to rebuild it. It doesnt work well) and then you'll likely need a rotorpuller. ZOok used a few different types, so you might call them or Z1 and ask em. That will prolly be another 20-40 bucks. BUT she'll work good as new... Oh, dont forget a stator cover gasket either...

Thanks, much appreciated. I hope this is the last thing for a while.

Comment

I took the magneto cover off, and the clutch is pretty loose. But it does only turn one way. It has to be bad though from the sound it was making. Plus I have not taken off the fly wheel to really get a good look at it. But my question is, my starter doesn't spin, I just hear the relay clicking, and also the lights go dim when I hit the button. Don't tell me my starter is bad as well. Damned, if so, this thing is starting to cost me.

Comment

If you hear clicking it isn't the starter clutch. You either have a bad relay or you starter needs brushes (more likely than the starter going bad). It's easy to check if it's the relay, just short out the top thick posts and bypass it. Brushes are cheap and remember to clean up the armature with some emory cloth.

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
            If you hear clicking it isn't the starter clutch. You either have a bad relay or you starter needs brushes (more likely than the starter going bad). It's easy to check if it's the relay, just short out the top thick posts and bypass it. Brushes are cheap and remember to clean up the armature with some emory cloth.
            Thanks for the info. I think the starter clutch must be going bad too, because of the noise. But, I can live with that.

Comment

Clicking relay usually says
              Bad battery
              Bad ground
              Bad starter
              Bad connection
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                Clicking relay usually says
                Bad battery
                Bad ground
                Bad starter
                Bad connection

I know the starter clutch is bad, it makes a grinding/rattling sound. Now will it work, yes, probably, it seems like is working when I turn it. It does have quite a bit of play in it. I can't stand the sound it makes, so I am going to replace it.

If it is the bad starter, is it nothing more than replacing brushes???
                Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2009, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Hopefully it usually is just that.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    Hopefully it usually is just that.
                    Thanks, I'll order those when I get the starter clutch. That's going to be a few more hundred into this bike.

Comment

have you jumped the solenoid to see if that is ruled out??

Comment

have you jumped the solenoid to see if that is ruled out??

No, where is it located?

Comment

it usually sits next to your fuseblock on the side of the battery, left hand side of the bike under the side cover (if youre sitting on the bike) Run a screwdriver between the two poles and see if it turns the starter over. Uh, make sure the bike is in neutral, and the key is on too...

Comment

it usually sits next to your fuseblock on the side of the battery, left hand side of the bike under the side cover (if youre sitting on the bike) Run a screwdriver between the two poles and see if it turns the starter over. Uh, make sure the bike is in neutral, and the key is on too...
                            I took the starter out, and it is bound up! This bike is really trying my patience. Have had over a month, and all I have done is wrench on it, and put money into it. What the heck was I thinking. I assume the brushes are behind the Philips heads screws which are on the starter pretty darn tight. Busted the tip of my impact driver trying to get one loose. I guess you can tell, I am a little frustrated. If I get a new starter and starter clutch, that is going to set me back $300 or so. Now at this point, I have to fix it. I might just sell it when I get through, to at least get back some of my money. It is just so very frustrating, as here I won't be able to ride for at least another week.

Comment

Originally posted by slip View Post
                              I took the starter out, and it is bound up! This bike is really trying my patience. Have had over a month, and all I have done is wrench on it, and put money into it. What the heck was I thinking. I assume the brushes are behind the Philips heads screws which are on the starter pretty darn tight. Busted the tip of my impact driver trying to get one loose. I guess you can tell, I am a little frustrated. If I get a new starter and starter clutch, that is going to set me back $300 or so. Now at this point, I have to fix it. I might just sell it when I get through, to at least get back some of my money. It is just so very frustrating, as here I won't be able to ride for at least another week.
                              Let me take a look at what i have laying around. I have some spare motors and whatnot, dunno if the starters are all the same, but theyre pretty close. I will check the parts fiches after i see what i have, and if i have one that will work, I'll hook you up..

Comment

Working...
                              X