Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Don-lo View Post
    I've got a couple starters sitting around if you want one

Don, I managed to get mine apart, but not without snapping one of the screws first. There is a guy at work who is going to try and easy out it for me. But if he can't fix it, sure I would take one from you. I'll let you know. I guess mine had some broken pieces of the brushes lodged in there. I cleaned it up, and it turns smoothly now. Amazingly enough, there is still a lot of the brush material left. I ordered new brushes as a precautinary measure anyways, when I ordered the starter clutch.

Comment

Ok, let me know

Comment

Ok, I think I might be able to re-use my starter if my friend at work can get the broken screw out. Where can I find these longs screws, anyone know? Also, I have ordered a new starter clutch, and the puller. So the beast will be back on the road when ever this stuff comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by slip View Post
          Ok, I think I might be able to re-use my starter if my friend at work can get the broken screw out. Where can I find these longs screws, anyone know? Also, I have ordered a new starter clutch, and the puller. So the beast will be back on the road when ever this stuff comes in.
          Note to self
          Don't throw away POS Ebay starter.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by slip View Post
            bikebandit and mrcycles both have the bolts.
            Brace yourself.... they are $9.79 each.

Comment

Originally posted by mrb302 View Post
              bikebandit and mrcycles both have the bolts.
              Brace yourself.... they are $9.79 each.

Dang, for two bolts. Grant it, they are not your average screws, but that's a little pricey!

Comment

heesh....well, Slip, should you ever decide to sell that old girl, you just let me know. I will cart my white Irish arse down to NC to pick it up

Comment

Slip, I bought my bike 2 years ago for about $1000. In those 2 plus years I have put $3100 replacing basically everything that was from 28 years ago on my bike. When I first bought my bike, I had no idea what floats were or how anything else worked. But little by little, frustration and curse words, to wondering if my bike will ever start due to a problem or many problems, I have done everything myself. Just reading your thread kinda bugged me because you want to give up and not spend money into it. Just hang in there and ask as many questions that you have because these guys on here are top notch on knowledge about these bikes and will gladly help you on your journey of getting your bike running. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny K View Post
                    Slip, I bought my bike 2 years ago for about $1000. In those 2 plus years I have put $3100 replacing basically everything that was from 28 years ago on my bike. When I first bought my bike, I had no idea what floats were or how anything else worked. But little by little, frustration and curse words, to wondering if my bike will ever start due to a problem or many problems, I have done everything myself. Just reading your thread kinda bugged me because you want to give up and not spend money into it. Just hang in there and ask as many questions that you have because these guys on here are top notch on knowledge about these bikes and will gladly help you on your journey of getting your bike running. Hope this helps.
                    No your right Johnny K. It is in fact a 31 year old bike! I was just a little frustrated the other day. I ordered all the parts that I need to get her back on the road, and they will be here soon.

And CafeKid, sorry, I am not giving up on the old girl just yet. Because I know, basically, she is pretty sound. And I have a lot of time invested, and I am beginning to know her on a more deeper level.

Comment

Working...
                    X