Well, that didn't take long to go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
    Let me take a look at what i have laying around. I have some spare motors and whatnot, dunno if the starters are all the same, but theyre pretty close. I will check the parts fiches after i see what i have, and if i have one that will work, I'll hook you up..
    Thanks CafeKid, it would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Just curious,how many miles on your bike.?
      Good luck with the fixes.
      http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
      1978 GS1000C
      1979 GS1000E
      1980 GS1000E
      2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        Just curious,how many miles on your bike.?
        Good luck with the fixes.
        The odo says 21800, don't know if that is actual mileage.

Comment

Try pulling the motor apart, they're pretty simple. There's only bushings on both end, maybe you can free them up and then give a good dose of grease.

Comment

I've gotten many a starter to work with some cleaning, lubing and no $$$$.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              I've gotten many a starter to work with some cleaning, lubing and no $$$$.
              Did you change the brushes??

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
                Try pulling the motor apart, they're pretty simple. There's only bushings on both end, maybe you can free them up and then give a good dose of grease.
                Yeah, if I could get the screws out, I have broke an impact driver bit trying. I can't even get the long screws out to take it apart.

Comment

Is the drain hole plugged in your starter gallery? It sounds like the starter has been sitting in water.

Anywho, motors are extremely simple mechanically. If you can get the screws out (try some penetrating oil on the thread area) I'd bet you can clean it up, grease it, and use it again.

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
                    Is the drain hole plugged in your starter gallery? It sounds like the starter has been sitting in water.

Anywho, motors are extremely simple mechanically. If you can get the screws out (try some penetrating oil on the thread area) I'd bet you can clean it up, grease it, and use it again.

No, the drain hole is not plugged up, and the motor is not exactly seazed up. I think that it might be the brushes that are binding it up. I think they are probably pretty worn to where the spring is not putting enough pressure on them. I can turn it but it will bind up after a while. I think it would be fine if I could get the screws out. But one of them is bugered up pretty good. Maybe I could bring it to a machine shop just to loosen the screws up.

Comment

Well, I just checked again, and there is 12V going to the starter, so relay is ok. But it just won't spin, but yet spins freely when turned by hand. I guess it is either the brushes, are the motor is shot. The terminal does get a little warm after awhile.

Comment

Subscribed to this thread.

Rode to Wally world this morning and everything was fine.
                        'Bout two hours later went out and hit the button, just got the click.
                        I've already checked the battery and shorted the starter post, but no turning.

Good luck Slip.
                        When you figure it out let us know because it might help me as well!

Comment

Originally posted by slip View Post
                          Well, I just checked again, and there is 12V going to the starter, so relay is ok. But it just won't spin, but yet spins freely when turned by hand. I guess it is either the brushes, are the motor is shot. The terminal does get a little warm after awhile.
                          If it will spin by hand it's probably the brushes. You still need to get it apart so you can clean up the armature and it would be nice to grease those bushings.

Comment

If it binds after turning I bet there is a broken magnet in there.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              If it binds after turning I bet there is a broken magnet in there.
                              That's not good! I won't know of course until after I get it apart. I am hoping it is just bad brushes. This afternoon, I am going to bring it over to someone at work in the machine shop.

Comment

I've got a couple starters sitting around if you want one

Comment

Working...
                                X