Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

brake pads been off for two days..problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake pads been off for two days..problem?

I was working on my 79 gs425, and after just checking a few things I decided I wanted to go around the block. My front brakes were riding the disc hard though and squealing like hell. knowing i needed to replace the pads anyway i took off the caliper removed the pads and put the caliper back on. i went for a ride around the block and parked it. now two days later i finally got the pads and am ready to install. Is it a problem that I left them off for so long?

Also, according to the manual I'll need some grease (for top of the brake piston or something). Anyone know a brand I can get at O'Reilly's or auto zone? the closest bike shop is a pain to get to without a car.

thank you!
    mark

I've got mine sitting in a bag for the last couple days while I am waiting for fork springs. It will not hurt the pads to have them off the bike.

You need grease suitable for disc brake systems. Most auto part places sell it. You want to put a light coating on the back of the pads. DO NOT get grease on the friction material. If you do, wash the pads with soap and water and let them dry.

Before installing, clean your brake rotor with some brake cleaner to remove any grease or dirt.

Comment

You should be fine as long as you did not try to use the front brake after you removed the pads (and pop the piston out of the caliper). You will have to move the piston back in the caliper to be able to install the pads. I am not sure about that model but on most you need to grease the slide or mounting bolts so the caliper can move freely when activated.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2009, 12:28 AM.

Comment

You may need to push the caliper piston back in with a C-clamp.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Open the bleeder when you push the pads back in, you can use a pair of Channel locks or a clamp. That way you dont push the crude back into the master cylinder. Ive done it the other way with no problems also

Comment

well f--k me. started to replace the pads today and I had tried to use the front brake after removing the old ones so...no piston! I guess I won't have much trouble getting one at the nearest shop but I was also wondering....

when i was looking inside the caliper earlier I noticed some dirt where the piston slides. should I clean that out if so, how?

thanks for the help everyone I really appreciate it!

Comment

Good luck finding one at the local shop. Try mrcycles.com and just rebuild the whole caliper.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by mwootto View Post
                well f--k me. started to replace the pads today and I had tried to use the front brake after removing the old ones so...no piston! I guess I won't have much trouble getting one at the nearest shop but I was also wondering....

when i was looking inside the caliper earlier I noticed some dirt where the piston slides. should I clean that out if so, how?

thanks for the help everyone I really appreciate it!

Try one of these ideas:

eBay Motors makes it easy to find parts for cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles & more. We even offer a massive selection of new & pre-owned classics, hot rods, exotics, vans, ATVs, RVs, boats and more at eBay Motors. Shop for your next vehicle, or start selling in a marketplace with 171 million buyers.
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

as if it wasn't already apparent I can be pretty dumb turns out the caliper piston was there all along only I thought the piston was a solid cylinder that slid into what is actually the piston. long story short I replaced my pads and they work superbly! thanks for your help everyone.

Comment

Working...
                  X