• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So if I recall properly

Park Battery = 12.5V Brake Light = 12.5V
    ON Battery = 12.0V Brake Light = 10.5V

What this is telling you is that:

a.) you have essentially no voltage drop in your wiring to the brake lights for the brake light load (that is because there is no voltage difference between Battery and Brakelight in Park alone.

b.) you have a significant load in ON, enough to pull the battery down 0.5 volts (headlamps and ignition) but is about normal as I have seen similar but usu sally not any lower.

c.) You have a lot of voltage drop (1.5V = 12.0-10.5) in your ignition switch in the ON position. Is you were pulling about 5 amps that means you have 0.3 ohms in the ignition switch. The corrosion is probably going to keep growing and get worse.

If it has taken 27 years to get this far, I guess it might last a little longer though

Comment

Pull out your ignition switch and clean it up. MG Chemicals Nu-Trol works wonders. The load from other sources when "ON" is likely the other part of the dim equation.

Comment

Excellent analysis guys. And assuming I keep this bike forever, and don't want problems to get worse, are the steps to remove the ignition and get to the contacts fairly simple? Again, assuming what I am cleaning are actually the contact points directly under the ignition switch.

Thanks again,

me

Comment

Spray some WD-40 in there.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Spray some WD-40 in there.
            WD 40 will not eat the corrosion that is there. You need to strip that first with the etching material then lube it up.

The electrical contacts are in a little round module screwed to the bottom of the ignition switch.

Comment

I found some photos of an ignition switch on Ebay, and am wondering where exactly I'm supposed to clean, as it appears to be a sealed unit. Is inside the green 4-prong connector the place you suspect the corrosion is or inside the barrel where the key goes?

Comment

the contacts are in the round part opposite the key hole. The switches I have from 83 ED / 81 EX are removable and probably would swap if that one doesnt come apart.

Comment

So I guess I'll pull this thing out soon, see how much of it can be diassembled, and what I can get at in there. If it doesn't come apart at all, I see no harm in spraying some electrical contact cleaner into the key hole, and using the key to mix it aroound a bit. Then maybe lube it with some WD-40 afterwards. Again, this is nothing that critical, just maintenance that should be taken care of before it gets worse, I guess.

Comment

Spraying anything into the keyhole will not get it down to the contacts that need to be cleaned. As posplayr said, look at the round part where the wires come out. On some models, there are screws that hold that part to the keyswitch assembly, on others there is a clip to be removed. Either way, take off that cap, you will see the contacts inside.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I would use sometype of etching material; even a little navel jelly that you let sit in there a while and then wash clean and then spray with WD-40

It won't hurt plastic, and brass just gets spiffy clean. It won't hurt the chrome either.

Comment

I'm on it. Thanks guys for all the advice. Can't get to it right now, as a 3 day ride is planned starting this Friday early. But once its done, I'll update.

Comment

use your ohm meter to measure resistance before and after cleaning on both ON and PARK contacts.

Comment

As long as I can open it up and access the contacts, it will be done.

Comment

As long as I can open it up and access the contacts, it will be done.
                              contacts are measured at the connector at each key position; so there is no need to open for that.

if you can get any access through a crack you can get some acid in there to etch the contacts.

Metal prep by Por-15 is mild but is very liquid; you just immerse the entire switch. Ideally the lock will be off.

Comment

But now it will turn real nice like!
                                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                                X